What do you want out of biking and where are you going, in 2019?

Soldato
It is a bit dead in here at the moment, almost as though the weather has made the majority of people stay off their bikes...

So, two questions in one thread:

• what are you hoping for from biking in 2019? Is it a new bike, going somewhere, refurbishing something - what's the big biking plan for 2019?; and

• where are you biking in 2019? Any new tours or ride outs planned, at home or abroad? Where will you be posting your killer biking picture from back to this forum next year if all goes well?

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I posted and ran without really finishing it as I was late out for dinner.

Bike: I learned a huge amount this year about what I really want from biking. I took part in our own budget bike challenge (under 400cc, under £500) at the beginning of the year and loved it. This persuaded me that I really wanted a retro naked bike, until I rode retro naked bikes and didn't like any of them. Or, rather, they weren't capable of what I want biking to be for me - the need to go longer distances and travel with fun along the way.

So I still need the same sort of bike as I have now, and moved from XR to XR this year. Next year I want to be absolutely wowed by the KTM 790 Adventure but I don't know if I quite want to lose the power yet. So, ideally, I'd like to see a new XR based on the new RR and go with that for a couple more years. Or, KTM to further refine their engine and learn how to make a chassis and suspension work together (I'm looking at you 1290 Adventure).

Track: nothing for me - I'm still not too bothered by it but some day want to do a proper course on it to make me a safer, better rider. Not for 2019 though.

Road: Austrian and Swiss Alps in July, Picos de Europa in September (with Teapot One), mandatory couple of weekends in Wales / Peak / Lake District. If I haven't gone through two sets of tyres by this time next year then something's gone wrong!

OcUK meetups: do we have any next year? See you in 2020 for one or two up the Furka!

Soldato
OP
Additionally, I have the SERV (blood bikes) training day coming up. I thought there isn’t really a better way for a civilian to inject a bit of purpose into biking.

I joined a few years ago and did the training. I was really keen to also help use my training and network of the day job (marketing and PR) to help grow awareness. I gave up pretty quickly when I realised that my local branch was very controlling, small minded and cliquey. They wanted all the recognition for doing what they did and how hard it was, but had no interest in growing awareness or membership. A real shame.

Soldato
OP
I'd agree with all that. It also avoids the common mistake of buying an overly expensive 125 and then selling it 3 months later, either because you don't like biking or because you do and want a bigger bike.

Back
Top Bottom