What does your wife/partner drive?

Associate
With the missus finally undertaking steps to get her licence she has asked me to look and suggest cars that would be suitabel for when she passes her test. I have to admit I have been pretty stumped by this poser and have no idea what route to go down or what people are driving nowadays as if it was really up to me I would just get her a Saab (fanboy alert).

Nonetheless I've told her to keep a look out and to choose her own car and pick something she likes and I can advise on her preferences if necesary but it got me thinking also on how others perhaps arrange their household car setups? Does your partner just pick the car she likes the look of? Do you have any input? Are your car buys coordinated for max utility, fun or convenience?

Interested to see others setups or suggestions.

Associate
OP
Get her something cheap to start with and let her decide what she wants after the first year.

That is the current thinking as I will also likely be looking to upgrade towards the end of the year/new year so already thinking of whether it works best to coordinate longer term car buys. I will likely also maintain a variety of old Saabs to play with but also thinking if it makes sense to buy a proper toy and get her the utility vehicle.

Severe lack of Audi TT's, 1 series BMW's or Evoques in this thread which seem to be very popular around here for all these kept women. If she is happy enough with a beater as I am then all the better but think longer term it's more than likely her head will be turned by a nicer/newer car than ones I'm happy to keep.

Associate
OP
Personally I wouldn't be happy with her having an old car without her having the interest in cars to go with it. Modern cars are safer and more reliable than old ones.

Absolutely, and I would be happier with her in a newer car for those very reasons although I am happy picking up maintenance and repair of them as necessary. I suspect my enthusiasm would wane on this solution working on a car I wouldn't much care for hence Saab preferences if we went down that route. She is in NHS so may be a option for her to explore their salary sacrifice lease options too for peace of mind where she gets new car, maintenance and insurance etc all in one package. Likewise I will hopefully be in similar position end of year with company car scheme available too potentially offering further options for us.

Never know, she may well catch car bug or simply maintain the attitude of it being an object of utility but it is interesting to see other household arrangements in these situations.

Back
Top Bottom