What electric cars are actually available in the UK . . .

Capodecina
Soldato
Simple questions really - and I am not talking about a Tesla, I am more interested in something more practical / economical.

Most driving would be local or with a typical maximum of 50 miles. However, in order to visit relatives I would from time to time want to cover distances of at least 300 miles in a single run.

What electric cars are actually available in the UK at the moment, what range do they offer and how long do they take to recharge? I am only interested in practical, personal experience, not some manufacturer's theoretical figures - which I could find online ;)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Have you considered a Tesla Model 3 OP?
I have considered it but am not convinced.
It is my understanding that the Model 3 will not actually achieve 300 miles on a charge.
God knows what the actual price is, Tesla UK seem somewhat "evasive" on that ;)

EDITED:
12 months ago, Motoring Research suggested that a "basic" Tesla Model 3 would cost just under £40,000 and offer 260 miles on a charge. It is also a "larger" car than I want.​

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Will your bladder go 300 miles without being emptied?
. . .
Range in winter for 3 Long Range is 220-250 miles based on my real experience and I expect to be able to do close to 300 miles on a charge in the summer though in reality you don’t drive the car to 0% charge so you’re likely to stop on route for a rest and top up charge then.
How long does a top-up charge take? How common are the "SuperChargers"?
Incidenrally, I suspect that I can probably take less time to empty my bladder than to charge a Tesla Model 3 ;)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Hyundai Kona.
Yes, sounds just about possible; I'm not entirely sure what Hyundai plan to do in the EV market - perhaps the current Pandemic and the consequent reduction in pollution will have an impact on this?

. . . a hybrid would better suit your needs.
Indeed, this is pretty much what I have been thinking - the time is not right for volume EV availability yet :(

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I find this interesting. General 50mile usage profile and occasional demand for a 300mile trip and public perception is obsessed we all need to do it none stop. Even if it means people have cars that are more expensive/larger/heavier than they need to be.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here but I would certainly agree that a "more expensive/larger/heavier" car could reasonably be seen to be an unnecessary indulgence.

The purpose of my opening this thread was to see if the time is right to switch from a small petrol car to a small electric car (if such a thing exists). It appears that as I rather suspected, a Hybrid would probably make more sense.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . And sadly, “Most” people are going to have to get used to the fact that they’re being priced off the road. . . .
I would be inclined to agree except that I am absolutely astonished by the number of newish Porsches, Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, Range Rovers, etc. that I have seen parked up outside people's houses in the past two months, often huge SUVs with personalised number plates - where do people get the money to pay for these pointless monstrosities?

My interest in EVs is largely based on the idea that the Government will eventually start to make ownership and use of them more attractive - at the moment they are not, they are status symbols. Manufacturers need to produce small, affordable EVs and the Government (or someone) needs to provide means to recharge them when away from home.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
We need a Tesla Model 2.
From Somnabulist's link said:
Tesla has shown a design sketch of a small car for China and revealed that it's looking to set up a design and research facility in the country.

The American electric vehicle (EV) maker posted the image of a compact hatchback with Model 3-inspired styling via its official account on WeChat – China's biggest social media network.
Looking at the "design sketch" it may be small but Dear God, it looks ridiculous - "compact" doesn't really do it justice.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Concept drawings usually are, though. I'm sure it will be Focus/Golf sized rather than Fiesta/Polo/Mini.
So long as it is genuinely a small car (i.e. Polo sized), ideally a hatchback with reasonable space in the boot with the back seats down, I am sure it will be a winner; sadly, it can't arrive soon enough :(

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . An EV as a status symbol is just ROFL.
Frankly, many cars are chosen to project an "image" (i.e. as status symbols).
EVs are significantly more expensive than many "alternatives".
There are certainly some people who would like to choose an EV to protect the environment.
Some of those people have the funds to demonstrate that they "have the funds".
Q.E.D.​

ps - I do have the funds, would dearly love to protect the environment but don't want some oversized flashy metal box and have no great wish to run out of electricity in the middle of the night or to sit in some God-awful motorway service station drinking carp warm murky liquid :p

Was there anything else ?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Next time I see someone driving around in a eGolf or an eUp! I'll remember that they are probably people just trying to make a statement showing how affluent they are with their awesome cars. :rolleyes:
Thank you, two on-topic potentially useful suggestions, although they do still suffer from limited mileage :p

I think OP needs to wait for the Honda E as that is like the half way house between spending loads on a Tesla but still having reasonable range and performance. As for 300 miles range you are not going to get that reliably for at least a couple of years. Just save your money and buy a cheaper diesel car.
I don't think that a diesel car really addresses the "environmental" issue ;)

However, you are right, it seems unlikely that there will be an EV about for some while with the qualities I am seeking :(

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . I think UK dealerships will end up wanting some protection from being made redundant or just ending up as service centres and test drive locations.
I suspect that that is going to happen; for the life of me I can't see what other value dealerships offer to either purchasers -or- manufacturers . . . perhaps finance options :confused:

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
In my opinion, this money should go to infrastructure instead - it doesn't matter how cheap you make the cars if people don't want them because there is nowhere to charge. 4-5+ reliable chargers at every motorway services would make a world of difference. Charging "stations" in areas where there aren't many public chargers (SW Wales, I'm looking at you here!), on-street charging (e.g. the lampost fitted ones) on roads without driveways across the country rather than a couple of rich London boroughs. Building an infrastructure which people can trust and rely on, making charging as convenient as filling up with petrol (even if it does take a bit longer) will (again, IMO) make far more difference than making new cars slightly more affordable to people who were already considering a new/nearly new car anyway.
I think that your observation about the lack of charging points is very important. Petrol stations may be rare in areas with low population density but compared to EV charging points they absence isn't a problem. It doesn't matter how cheap the electricity is, if you can't find it you are stuck.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I disagree, you are highly likely to have a driveway in a low density area (e.g. the country side). Many small towns already have at least 1 rapid charger and it’s growing rapidly. There are already far more charging points than there are petrol stations and there is relatively low adoption of EVs. Those existing charge points also have relatively low utilisation. There are charging points everywhere, you just don’t know it because you don’t use them or look for them. Have a look at Zap Map.

The biggest hurdle is actually town and city centres where there are far more cars and street/communal parking is the norm. There are very few practical barriers for adoption in rural areas. Just the usual issues with cost and availability.
Zap-Map is an interesting site, I have looked it.

However, away-from-home there will still be an uncomfortable uncertainty at the moment; I know that will change :)

Back
Top Bottom