What firewall software are you using? (Vista x64)

Associate
Hello to all,

i have vista x64 and i need some good firewall software, to stop outgoing connections and incoming easily, normally i use zonealarm security suite (but this doesnt work on vista x64) something similar and as good is what i want.

currently im using norton (and i hate it) please help me find an alternative.

Thanks guys

Soldato
Cant believe you picked norton, its worse as vista's own fw, good luck on removing symantec, you'll need it, myself also in need of a proper firewall, for a server, so needs to be a-ok, dont think the besic vista one is good nuff for it.
Anyone?

Soldato
I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 6 (a security suite rather than just a firewall) which works well with Vista 64bit. :)

Permabanned
Unfortunately Outpost is not yet Vista compatible otherwise I would recommend that.

You can block outbound connections in the Vista firewall. You just have to switch that service on.

Type wf.msc in your search box to bring up the Advanced screen for windows firewall.

On the left panel click the top link. You should see an overview on the middle panel for three different profiles. Domain, Private and Public.

You will see than outbound connections that not match a rule are allowed.

To change this to blocked click Windows Firewall properties. You then have to activate outbound blocking on the required profile which would be public - although you might want to activate it on all three to be sure.

At this point no application will be able to speak to the internet.

You will need to create a WHITE list that manually allows the programs you want to access the Internet.

Click the outbound rule on the left panel. This brings up a full list of outbound blocking rules in the middle panel.

To create a new rule, click on new rule on the left. And this allows you to specify the application you want to be able to have access to the internet.

Until outpost is available on Vista, that is what I am using.

V1N

V1N

Associate
the-void said:
Type wf.msc in your search box to bring up the Advanced screen for windows firewall.

I never knew that, that's great, thanks!
These forums really can be useful :)

Rather than have to create a whitelist, is there a way to get it to block all outgoing connections, but have it ask you the first time a program tries to connect to the net, adding to a whitelist that way, so that after a few days you've hopefully got all your required apps added to the whitelist, without having to manually go in and unblock them?

V1N.

Associate
Tbh Windows built in firewall is more than enough. I'm running Vista 64 and not bothered sticking a 3rd party firewall on there. windows built in one does the job, but if you want to get really indepth its probably not the best.

if you are using a router which probably has a built in firewall then you are pretty much protected anyway.

Soldato
I'm running NOD32, Adaware and connecting via a router, safe enough for me.
Waiting for zonealarm pro to come out for vista x64 before I bother with a firewall.

Associate
OP
ive just gotten kaperspy security suite (trial) seems good but i was doing a scan and it consumed 100% of my 4gb ram!!!!! OMG!!! it does surrender resources apparently but it was using so much it took half an hour to open a new app lol.

y doesnt vista come with antivirus then, 'cos thats what i need the most (after the firewall) which is y i wanted a suite.

Nother question, what version of adaare are you using? i have a se pro r1.06 (used on XP, will that work on vista?) but there is a version 7 as well what is the difference?

Associate
Microsoft were trialling an anti-virus product last year iirc, they bought an anti virus application and it was planned to be part of Vista. However I think there were some legal issues over doing this.

either way it didnt make it

Soldato
khisanth75 said:
Microsoft were trialling an anti-virus product last year iirc, they bought an anti virus application and it was planned to be part of Vista. However I think there were some legal issues over doing this.

either way it didnt make it

It's now OneCare isn't it?

Personally, the Vista FW does a good enough job for me. :)

Soldato
rudeboymcc said:
is there some comodo version that I can't see becuase I tried downloading it and it says it's not compatible with my vista ultimate.

yes

i use Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0 Alpha on vista 64bit... but i don't know when to final release will be out

Back
Top Bottom