What gaming laptops are you all using ?

Associate
That's the one with the 1070 Max-Q card, right?

How does it hold playing some of the latest games at max, or close to max, settings? Have you tried AC: Origins, or Middle Earth Shadow of War or anything else that's new and graphically demanding? I'm really interested in buying one myself and am wondering how it holds up.

I also just bought a Aero 15x and was surprised about how much performance you can get out of a gaming laptop this thin. Gaming laptops always used to be a meme but I am a convert now, I tried GTA V with graphic enhancer mods and Warhammer Total War 2 and the laptop didn't break a sweat. It actually out performs my desktop when loading due to the super fast M2 SSD's this is particularly noticeable on both these games as GTA V is notorious for having long load times.

Associate
I just sold my ************ laptop from last year and got the Acer Predator 15 from Overclockers. My old laptop was pretty good with a 6700 cpu and 980m but the screen was a little damaged and it was a cheap panel to start with. The cooling was awful too, it would underclock itself once the gpu hit 79 degrees and I’d lose 10 or 15 percent of the performance. That was just enough to dip well under 60fps in the Witcher 3 and doom, which ****** me off. Noisy as a ************ too.

Really happy with the Predator though. It runs so cool it’s unreal and the 1060 can even be overclocked without thermal throttling. I’ll never buy an unbranded laptop again. You may pay more but you get more. It’s an utter monster though. It’s only a 15 inch screen but is bigger than the PCS laptop which has a 17.3 inch screen. Also it’s probably the most obnoxious looking design I’ve ever seen but I kinda love it even though it’s a bit gaudy

Soldato
I was meaning to ask. Since I've bought a Switch I've fallen in love with console quality portable gaming. I currently own a macbook pro 15'' base model from 2015 which can't game much given the lack of dedicated GPU. It does my music well enough and emails/web surfing is intuitive as ever for apple.

I would like a device which can 1080p triple A games on the go which is affordable <1k, the cheaper the better. Are there any options for me?

Laptop gaming all of a sudden makes a lot more sense nowadays. I WISH there was some form of portable PC option like the Switch. I feel the gap in the market is huge for it. Not sure if the Nvidia Shield suffices.

Associate
asus rog g752vy 980m 8gig 32gig ddr4 about 5 months old just use it in the bedroom wife disabled play sto and other games have a old i7 3.7k with 1070 i use as my main but my first gaming laptop and i love it.

Associate
Alienware 17 R4:

i7 7820hk
8gb RAM
8gb GTX 1080

Love it. It can get a bit noisy but only when gaming, I’ve learnt to phase the noise out. Bog standard screen as it’s connected to an external display 99% of the time.

Associate
MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro

i7 6700HQ
GTX 970M
16GB DDR4
512GB SSD
1TB HD

Love this laptop it replaced my desktop couple of years ago, gaming wise it's good can still play a lot of today's games at a decent setting.
Can get noisy when gaming as do a lot of gaming laptops, but I use noise cancelling headphones so don't hear it at all.

I'll probably only replace it when the next gen gaming laptop hit the market maybe next year or year after.

Associate
Win 10
Intel® Core™ i5-7200U (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 3.1 GHz with Intel®
Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX (4 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard drive TB 5400 rpm SATA

I don't know if it's a very good spec I brought it from mate

Soldato
Ancient Clevo p150em, i7 3610qm, 16gb DDR3, 2gb 7970m.

It's heavy and noisy, but just hanging in there still! I'm amazed it still works, and will keep it going until that card dies. Must be near 7 years old now!

Soldato
HP Omen 17, with some extra RAM and a chunky SSD thrown in :)

7700HQ
16GB Kingston Impact DDR4 2666
1060 6GB (Non Max-Q)
500GB 960 Pro
1TB 7200 RPM Storage drive
120Hz Gsync IPS screen

Going to tinker around with the GPU at some point and see if a little undervolt can't help it push its boost clocks higher :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ancient Clevo p150em, i7 3610qm, 16gb DDR3, 2gb 7970m.

It's heavy and noisy, but just hanging in there still! I'm amazed it still works, and will keep it going until that card dies. Must be near 7 years old now!

That's had a very good run! Clevo's design doing well for you :) I used to have a late Core2 and early i7 Clevo, and the models I had had some major issues with DPC latency etc, but if that was resolved, they'd have been great for the time, I'm guessing you have the design and improvements which came out of these :D

Hope my HP lasts at least 3 years, let alone 7!

Performance is good, and temps aren't unreasonable so here's hoping:
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14668324

Associate
I love my msi gt37vr 7rf
I7 7820hk
32gb ram ddr4
512gb ssd and 1tb hdd
GTX 1080 none max q

It's got great temps and doesn't get loud which is great. I also love the gsync monitor which is great for older games I've found.

Associate
I love my msi gt37vr 7rf
I7 7820hk
32gb ram ddr4
512gb ssd and 1tb hdd
GTX 1080 none max q

It's got great temps and doesn't get loud which is great. I also love the gsync monitor which is great for older games I've found.

What do you score on firestrike?

Back
Top Bottom