what gpu coolers?

Associate
which graphics cooler?

looking into getting a new cooler for my graphics card but what one should I go for? Been looking at the Arctic coolers and Zalman ones but what are the pros and cons of each of them.
I've read about poor reliability with the Arctic coolers and how loud, or should I say quiet, are they? Also what affects on case temps will I get with the Zalman coolers as they don't exhaust the warm air out of the case and how effective are they at 5v in the quiet setting?
Looking at getting 2, 1 for my Asus x850xt that has a Arctic cooler style cooler on it that blows the hot air out of the case but has a high pitched noise at low rpm and my bro's 6800 ultra that if I remember is single slot.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Zalman on my 7800GT. I can't fault it! The reason I never chose the Arctic Cooler is because I heard they can get clogged up with dust.

I use a fan controller so I can choose wheather I want silence or performance! :D Although, even on max the fan isn't very lout at all.

Soldato
Zalman > Arctic cooling in every aspect.

Arctic cooling Silencers are poor grade, poorly lapped copper with unreliable fans strapped to them. Wouldn't touch them ever.

The Zalman on the other hand is superior in cooling, quiter when on 5v mode, reliable, and the heatsink is lapped superbly. When you install one and remove it straight after, there is always 100% GPU contact and the base is flush and shiney.

Pay money and get some quality, or pay less and recieve a lump of tack through your door.

Also, I love explaining this about arctic coolers:

The arctic coolers use a very thick copper base for contact with the GPU, which is what holds most of the heat. They then use very few brittle aluminium fins attached to the copper, which supposidly disperses heat into the air being pushed over them by the fan.

The fact its aluminium, and there is a distinct lack of them means there isn't much conduction of heat from them copper. Which means the good heat dispersing properties of the aluminium isn't even being used very well.

The fact there is also a massive gap between exhaust and backplate means any warm air being pushed that way isn't exactly going straight out the case.

When I was stupid enough to buy one for my old 6800GT, couldn't feel any decent air flow coming from the back and this was reflected by my system temperatures not dropping.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, on my Asus x850xt the stock fans blows the hot air out of the case, what kind off affect on case temps will putting a Zalman cooler on have?

Soldato
Depending on room temperature, mine idles at around 40-45 degrees and at reaches around 60-65 degrees whilst playing games like Call of Duty 2 and Battlefield 2 SF.

Associate
OP
not to fussed about getting much cooler as atm i idle at 34'c and hit 62'c max under load with mine clocked to xt pe speeds so I'm aiming to keep those sort of temps but reduce the noise.

JDL

JDL

Associate
zalman all the way, to exhaust the hot air from the zalman i'm trialing a pci slot exhaust fan on its lowest setting to get rid of the hot air from the zalman - so far it seems to work as it hasn't affected the case temps. :D

Associate
OP
nice idea, but wouldn't the fans be working against each other? the pci exhaust will be pulling air down and out but the Zalman would be trying to draw the air up and over the card,also dont really want to be adding any other fans allready got 2x120mm and 2x80mm fans with one of each sucking in and blowing out.
Any one with the Zalmans noticed an increase of case temps or am I just worrying about nothing??

Soldato
I had the Arctic Cooler on my 6800GT and then switched to the Zalman.

Forget about the pap regarding "the Arctic Cooler is better because it exhausts hot air from the case".

When I switched to the Zalman I noticed absolutely zero impact on my system temps and anything else for that matter. Thats with very little airflow in my case at the time and the Zalman on 5v.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I'm happy I just ordered a Zalman VGA cooler then, instead of waiting for the Arctic coolers to come back in stock for my 6800GT!

JDL

JDL

Associate
dale1uk said:
nice idea, but wouldn't the fans be working against each other? the pci exhaust will be pulling air down and out but the Zalman would be trying to draw the air up and over the card,also dont really want to be adding any other fans allready got 2x120mm and 2x80mm fans with one of each sucking in and blowing out.
Any one with the Zalmans noticed an increase of case temps or am I just worrying about nothing??

the fans don't work against each other due to where they are positioned, the exhaust cooler is closer to the rear of the case whilst the zalamn is middlish, the air the exhaust fan is taking away is air coming off the card - abit like this:

airflow.jpg

good old paint ;)

i'm yet to smoke bomb my system for airflow when i do i'll post the vid etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom