What happened to manual transmissions?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So my parents are looking to replace their Mk 6 GTI, but my mum “hates automatics”. Yes, she’s wrong and should embrace change, but it’s astonishing how there’s very little in the way of (relatively) powerful cars with manual transmissions.

S3: auto only
SQ2: auto only
Golf R: auto only
Golf GTI: national importer no longer offers manuals. (Not the time to buy a new Mk7.5 anyway, but I digress)
A35 AMG: auto only
XC40 T5: no manuals

Even further down the range, the VW T-Roc 2.0 190 is auto-only, as is the equivalent Q2 and Q3.

If you want a manual, you have to get a 1.4 or a Hyundai i30N.

FWIW we’re trying to change her mind but it raises an interesting point. When did this happen?

PS: she won’t have a BMW
PPS: forgot about the Cupra and the Vrs

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Slightly annoying as my dad's new vehicles have an automatic parking brake so if he moves or borrows mine he forgets to put the handbrake on - fortunately as it has automatic transmission it normally stays in place in park.
Both of my cars have automatic electronic handbrakes but before then I never used the manual handbrake unless I was parked on a hill. People who leave the car in neutral with the handbrake up confuse me.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
She won't have a bmw or automatic? Basically ruling out the best drivetrain combos available to the average buyer. Sounds sensible.
Have you ever met a 70-year-old Polish woman? Just don’t bother trying to reason with her.
“What do I do with my other hand?”

We’re slowly trying to convince her but it’s hard work!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
She won't have a bmw or automatic? Basically ruling out the best drivetrain combos available to the average buyer. Sounds sensible.
So the X2 M35i is apparently a thing. I think my dad is going to ignore my mum and just buy what he wants...

Back
Top Bottom