What is a good system for 3d work

Associate
As above i am looking to buy my son a new pc specifically for 3d work, his old/current machine is hopelessly slow at the render stage.
anyone able to spec me a system, cost is not yet an issue, well lets say 5k limit

thanks

his old/current machine is hopelessly slow at the render stage
What are the specs of the old machine, so that we know what a decent upgrade looks like?

Is it using 100% CPU or 100% GPU when it is being slow?

specifically for 3d work
Which software does he use?

£5K is enough that you could buy a HEDT/workstation PC using Epyc or Threadripper, but the best consumer hardware looks something like the below:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,396.93 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I didn't fit a 4090 because the cheaper cards only have a 2 year warranty and I wouldn't want to spend £1k5+ for that. The Zotac has a 5 year warranty if you register it with Zotac.

The PSU is way over spec, but I thought you might be using it a lot (so platinum would pay off sooner) and there's a possibility of using two GPUs.

You can find benchmarks here:

and here:

From what I'm aware, nvidia cards are usually much faster than AMD cards at GPU rendering, though you will hit a VRAM limit sooner because they fit less of it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, he use's cinema 4d with redshift renderer and after effects. i have linked this thread yo him now see what he say's

Surely the 7950X would be a better choice on rendering applications than the x3d part as it has a higher TDP and can therefor boost higher under work loads? Also its cheaper :P

Redshift renderer should work really well with the 4080 super.

If he's rendering with Redshift that'll all be on the GPU (It can technically run on the CPU but you don't want it to). A good 3D workstation should (unfortunately) sacarifice pretty much nothing these days. You want a lot of cores, fast single threaded performance, fast multithread, lots of ram, ideally a 4090 if you're GPU rendering, and fast storage :D You can tailor the specs for specific types of work, like jumping up to a Threadripper for sims for example, but if you're at that point, you're well beyond asking on OCUK about what spec you need for a machine.

Go with a 7950x instead of the 7950x3d for work. Prior to the crashing debacle I would have recommended a 14900k as they are a fantastic workstation CPU, but yeah, nope!

With that budget you should definitely be looking at a 4090 and 96GB ram minimum. Ideally 192GB.

Back
Top Bottom