What is the aspiration of modern civilisation?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
We all know what makes the world go round, but is it a fight against natural instinct? Is the eternal happiness of a wealthy life in the freedom of Monaco trumped by an instinctive urge to meditate peacefully in the mountains of Kathmandu?

Perhaps if we turned our civilisation more towards positive, natural behaviour we would encounter less negative scenarios, individual through to global.

Does a happy medium already exist? Some places in the US (Eugene, Oregon) appear to be aiming for an equilibrium.

Personally, what would be your preference?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for responding :)

Since humans are a sexually selective species that means there will be perpetual conflicts. Conflict is the sorting mechanism. It's not a bug, it's a feature, and therefore there is no 'solution' because it's not really a problem. Civilisation then is merely a way of trying to limit the range of these conflicts so they don't stay in the extremes (ala tribal warfare etc), but not eliminate them.

You just opened my mind. So wealth is a byproduct of the "game" we play to ensure humanity is controlled? Perhaps we need a new method prevent natural conflict, one which doesn't enhance our competitive, survivalist nature.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Wealth is more of another way of keeping score. The point is there is no way to prevent natural conflict, and attempts at such ideals usually end up producing the inverse of what's aimed for, e.g. commies wanting 'From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs' end up with murderous genocidal regimes where a few people end up in control of the state, or religious organisations trying to suppress human sexuality in their members end up breeding all kinds of pathological deviants engaging in the most vile perversions, etc.

Try reading about evolutionary psychology, you might find it interesting.
I think I will, thanks :)

Then there can be no equilibrium of power vs peace, just a constant struggle - are we now at a time of least conflict, or merely conditioned to the lifestyle?

Would a strive for power and also peace be animalistic instincts or is one a creation from our own evolutionary success?

You've seen Demolition Man I take it
:D

Getting bitches.
Wealth is the new way of expressing how good your nest is and scaring away other potential suitors.
Acquisition of money is everything.
Competition for resources is everything.
Keeping others from progression is everything.

I missed the point but that's ultimately why civilization..... Also crossbow men and knights.
Your creative way to phrase your points will forever be well received, perhaps wealth is no longer the "new" way and has been trumped by social media followers - although again wealth appears to be a by-product to that also, or is that by-product now a necessity due to this rigid structure?

There is none. Western civilisation gradually abandoned it’s grand narrative over the last couple of hundred years but has yet to replace it with anything meaningful, and humans seem biologically wired to be both superstitious, dogmatic and tend towards groupthink; so far collectively we’ve either come up with bad grand narratives (political or social ideologies) or shallow ones (wealth, ‘happiness’), neither of which bode well long-term.

If history is any indication, civilisations that lose confidence in themselves decline and fall apart, and this will happily be sped up by other parties that are not afflicted by the same existential malaise.
Have we finally lost our confidence? I think this method currently works, but there must be a less consequential way for all.

What i really want is space, not fussed about a big house but to own a bit of land where you dont feel overlooked and can enjoy some peace and quiet would be bliss.
That's my dream. I'm hoping @Housey adds me to his will as he hit the jackpot in terms of location!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Wow that’s really interesting. I’d be keen to hear more about how you live and what you earn/save/spend etc to achieve this. What things do you live without compared to the average Joe to keep expenditure low?

If you're yet to see his epic thread, @regulus honorably admitted to encountering severe gambling debt and now is living in provided accommodation whilst paying it all off via an amazing channel on pr0ncams.com

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I would assume via a similar tactic to the chinese, perhaps higher taxes for more than one child etc.

In a smaller country with less wealth disparity and cultural stigmas it could work with minimal negative ripples.

Back
Top Bottom