What is the Best 600w + PSU?

Associate
As per the title, I'll need a new psu very shortly so what is the best PSU? I currently have an exnermax and its been fine.

Running water cooling and crossfire with 4 HDD'd eventually.

Would also like to just use the minimum number of internal power cables so a modular one appeals!

Thanks

Soldato
The way the cables are set out on the Liberty is slightly annoying I found. I ended up having to use all the cables because of how they were and my case became more cluttered despite the PSU being modular!

Associate
Enermax, Antec, FSP, and Akasa are all stonking PSU's, you'll notice I've missed a few the Tagens are OK when they work properly then you have hell on getting them RMA'd so avoid them I've had 3 VERY bad issues with them.

I forgot the Hiper's are also very good as are the OCZ's although OcUK have stopped selling them for some reason, my mate has a Hiper and I was blown away with the quality for the money Enermax are well good PSU's but rather bland compared but I've never had an issue with them I personally love my OCZ 600 it's noisier than some others but the rails don't move 0.01v from idle to full load measured with a digital multimeter and that is the best I've ever seen, incidently the Hiper does drop the 12v a bit but well within the ATX spec but the Tagen's go WAY out of spec when they go wrong I had a 580 that dropped the 12v down to 10.8v under load wouldn't buy another with someone elses money.

Sorry for rambling but I would hate you to have some of the rubbish I've copped for.

Don
I had chronic problems with a 600W OCZ Powerstream and SLI. Ended up getting a FSP Epsilon 700W and all was good. I've also seen other reports of similar underperforming by OCZ.

As such I can't recommend the Powerstream in a high end SLI/Crossfire setup.

Jokester

Associate
I am also looking for the best PSU 600w or as close as possible, it must be as quiet as possible and i really like the idea of detachable cables to save on mess - always annoys me trying to tuck all cables behind the drive racks.

I was looking at the fooling PSU's:

Thermaltake PurePower 680W ATX2.0 Power Supply (W0049) (CA-021-TT) - states inteligant cables, i take it they can be detached?

Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0 Cable Detachable PSU - Titanium with UV Blue (CA-005-UX) - these just look sweet.

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Red UV (CA-008-HP)

All Views & comments welcome.

Associate
my mate asked me to reccomend a PSU for his w/c x2 rig, and i reccomended a Tagan. He bought a 530W modular Tagan. He runs his CPU @ 1.5V clocked to 2.5GHZ on each core. Has 3 HDDs, one Raptor, other 2 normal SATA. 7800GTX, X-Fi sound card and he's never had a problem.

So from that record I would reccomend a Tagan, I personally use a Hiper 580W Type R and although it's within ATX ranges, it's 12V rail wavers a heck of a lot so I probably won't buy another one!

Associate
DazedNFuzed said:
I am also looking for the best PSU 600w or as close as possible, it must be as quiet as possible and i really like the idea of detachable cables to save on mess - always annoys me trying to tuck all cables behind the drive racks.

I was looking at the fooling PSU's:

Thermaltake PurePower 680W ATX2.0 Power Supply (W0049) (CA-021-TT) - states inteligant cables, i take it they can be detached?

Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0 Cable Detachable PSU - Titanium with UV Blue (CA-005-UX) - these just look sweet.

Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Red UV (CA-008-HP)

All Views & comments welcome.

I'd avoid the Ultra and Thermaltake models, neither of them have very good reputations in terms of PSUs. I think the Hiper is really good, it's quiet and has a really good modular cable system. Other good modulars are the Tagan TG580-U15 580W, the Enermax Liberty 620W and the Antec NeoHE 550W.

Back
Top Bottom