What is the difference between Xeon E5 and X series ?

Associate
Hi,

I want to buy one of those combos on Aliexpress and I'm wondering about the differences between Xeon E5 and X series. Also whether I should go for X79 or X99 boards.

Also considering these points:
1. Whether ECC memory or non-ECC is better ?
2. There is a new combo with 16GB DDR4, E5 2620, X99. Is it better than other builds ?

The X and E parts have different power profiles and usually slightly different stepping. As for which is better depends on the use.

The main difference between X79 and X99 is the memory type (DDR3 vs DDR4) but the two are not inter-compatible platforms.

As your asking about ECC, I think it’s safe to say you are better off with Non-ECC memory.

X79 and X99 are a long way behind even entry desktop budget builds of today. The system would have to be dirt cheep and not from China.

Last edited:
X79 and X99 are a long way behind even entry desktop budget builds of today.

Do you mean that Xeon build with these CPUs is less powerful than a build with i5 or i7 ? Because I read that E5 2695 equals to 6th gen i9 CPU. And there are many videos on YouTube demonstrating the performance of Xeon builds for gaming which is not the main purpose of Xeon CPUs but if they work good in gaming so they would work better in multitasking purposes.

The system would have to be dirt cheep and not from China

Why? Aren't they the same CPUs ? Or you mean the motherboards ?

Back
Top Bottom