• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is the point in Vram amount?.

Associate
What is the point in some games having a bar telling you how much Vram you got left in your card when it comes to graphics?.

I tested Far Cry 5 for the fun and I have a KFAX2 EX OC 1080gtx 8GB and in Far Cry 5 I set everything to ultra and 4K. Vsync off and framerate off. In the settings it shows I have 5695 out of 8079 Vram left.

I no 4K is very demanding but on the test I get at ultra.

Min 37FPS
Average 43FPS
MAX 50FPS

With that amount of Vram left why doesnt the game use it for more power to get better frames?.

Associate
VRam is used for textures and manipulation of textures. Depending on the game some textures use more vram than others. Shadow of Mordor uses a hd texture pack and on super wide it uses more than 8gb.

Man of Honour
With that amount of Vram left why doesnt the game use it for more power to get better frames?

Game only needs so much data to be able to display the gameworld and there is only so much data worth caching that might be needed later for performance reasons - there is no way really to use any additional memory space effectively.

Soldato
Yes VRAM is absolutely pointless now in Windows 10!

My RTX 2080 do not have 8GB total GPU memory but actually 24GB total GPU memory. :D

n2s8tOQ.png

8GB dedicated GPU memory
16GB shared GPU memory

To all people claimed 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory will not be enough in 2019 games but it pointless when you have massive shared GPU memory, you will not run out of memory with both 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory. If you have 16GB system RAM then you should have 8GB shared GPU memory so GPUs like GTX 1660 3GB will have 11GB total GPU memory and GTX 1660 Ti and RTX 2060 6GB will have 14GB total GPU memory.

If Radeon VII owners have 32GB system RAM, they will have incredible massive 32GB GPU total memory. :cool:

Soldato
It's not pointless, vram is about 10x faster than the system ram. More if it's HBM2 like on the Vega cards.

If you only have a 3 or 6gb card and the game wants 8. Performance will suck or you'll have to run it in lower detail.

But Vega has a nice feature that lets you properly reserve system memory as dedicated GPU memory:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's not pointless, vram is about 10x faster than the system ram. More if it's HBM2 like on the Vega cards.

If you only have a 3 or 6gb card and the game wants 8. Performance will suck or you'll have to run it in lower detail.

Yeah - this is one of the funny things with VRAM though - you can have a game that is swapping 100s of MBs of textures out of system memory but used in such a way there is no noticeable performance hit even when you run out of VRAM or another game might be only needing another couple of MB or so beyond the available VRAM but the way it makes use of that data means performance falls to its knees.

Was an interesting one with a modded Skyrim with an engine patch and trying to play at ridiculous resolutions - with at the time a 970 and GTX780 to hand and both of them were actually fine above 4GB VRAM deployment until it got to about 5GB then just a few MB above that it went totally to a crawl.

Soldato
Yeah - this is one of the funny things with VRAM though - you can have a game that is swapping 100s of MBs of textures out of system memory but used in such a way there is no noticeable performance hit even when you run out of VRAM or another game might be only needing another couple of MB or so beyond the available VRAM but the way it makes use of that data means performance falls to its knees.

Was an interesting one with a modded Skyrim with an engine patch and trying to play at ridiculous resolutions - with at the time a 970 and GTX780 to hand and both of them were actually fine above 4GB VRAM deployment until it got to about 5GB then just a few MB above that it went totally to a crawl.

Some games won't even let you select higher detail options without enough of vram, or will quietly reduce detail so it fits in memory. In Doom 2016 options were hidden completely if you had less than 5gb.

Soldato
Yes VRAM is absolutely pointless now in Windows 10!

My RTX 2080 do not have 8GB total GPU memory but actually 24GB total GPU memory. :D

8GB dedicated GPU memory
16GB shared GPU memory

To all people claimed 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory will not be enough in 2019 games but it pointless when you have massive shared GPU memory, you will not run out of memory with both 3GB and 6GB dedicated GPU memory. If you have 16GB system RAM then you should have 8GB shared GPU memory so GPUs like GTX 1660 3GB will have 11GB total GPU memory and GTX 1660 Ti and RTX 2060 6GB will have 14GB total GPU memory.

If Radeon VII owners have 32GB system RAM, they will have incredible massive 32GB GPU total memory. :cool:

Nar, you can still run out, system memory is no where near as fast as GPU memory, you could link the GPU to a 4TB HDD, it's useless really. You don't want to be running above your GPU memory, quite easy to do if you DSR massive resolutions and crank the settings lol

Soldato

But Vega has a nice feature that lets you properly reserve system memory as dedicated GPU memory:

Untitled.jpg

Yes it pointless. HBM2 did not mattered.

Associate
Without adequate dedicated vram for a gpu swapping textures and other data from local memory will be painfully slow and hammer Fps.
3Gb is nowhere near enough, imho 6 is scraping it as well.. 8Gb or more is where you should be.

Soldato

Yes on Kepler and Maxwell, forget it you need to focus on Pascal and Turing.

GTX 1070 with GDDR5 was quite good at handled GPU shared memory and now RTX 2080 with GDDR6 is really amazing handled GPU shared memory. :D

Permabanned
What is the point in some games having a bar telling you how much Vram you got left in your card when it comes to graphics?.

I tested Far Cry 5 for the fun and I have a KFAX2 EX OC 1080gtx 8GB and in Far Cry 5 I set everything to ultra and 4K. Vsync off and framerate off. In the settings it shows I have 5695 out of 8079 Vram left.

It is a handy feature helping you decide what settings you can use before you get VRAM starved.

With that amount of Vram left why doesnt the game use it for more power to get better frames?.

Maybe because the game is optimised for cards up to 4 GB and 6 GB of VRAM, so your card is in the minority, only few people have such and the focus is not on yours.

Man of Honour
Yes on Kepler and Maxwell, forget it you need to focus on Pascal and Turing.

GTX 1070 with GDDR5 was quite good at handled GPU shared memory and now RTX 2080 with GDDR6 is really amazing handled GPU shared memory. :D

I think you missed the point of my post.

Soldato
Nar, you can still run out, system memory is no where near as fast as GPU memory, you could link the GPU to a 4TB HDD, it's useless really. You don't want to be running above your GPU memory, quite easy to do if you DSR massive resolutions and crank the settings lol

Nope.

I played Wolfenstein 2 in 2017 used 16K textures pool, it used over 8GB VRAM on GTX 1070 and used about 10GB RAM as GPU shared memory, ran smooth over 75 fps at Mein Leben maxed settings 1080p.

RutoSH0.jpg

Now I reinstalled Wolfensteins and used same settings with 16K textures pool but unfortunately RTSS seemed broken so I used build in stats instead.

SHTp5h4.jpg

2DlNqat.png

BouDOxK.jpg

Wow 250 fps. GDDR6 is amazing. :D

Soldato

So you know how much you have left for when you get a Triple 4K monitor setup.

Associate
Nope.

I played Wolfenstein 2 in 2017 used 16K textures pool, it used over 8GB VRAM on GTX 1070 and used about 10GB RAM as GPU shared memory, ran smooth over 75 fps at Mein Leben maxed settings 1080p.

Depends what it's allocating and how. Playing at only 1080p I'm not surprised it ran fairly well. Not everything allocated is actually used and it's unlikely your system RAM really ended up being used to swap data at any crucial periods.

Back
Top Bottom