What is/was your favorite internet forum?

Soldato
(Do not say OCUK!, that's cheating! :p )

Mine has to be one from, oh, 15 years ago or so.

It was called "Whats wrong with Britain"

It was interesting for several reasons.

1) You did not need to register. Just post with a name and one was away (Didn't even have to be the same name each time)

2) It was totally un-moderated.

3) Nobody at the time could figure out who was running it on such libertarian terms and why?

It actually ended up with a really rather nice on-line community where all sorts of things were discussed and nobody ever got really ****** off with anybody else.

I recall people like "Lady Luxury" (I am guessing, at the time, a smart mid teen girl)

And "Benefit scrounging *******" (Clearly Welsh, he got ribbed about it a lot but took it in good humour)

What killed it was a change by the operators that required people to create a user account. Killed it dead in literally 48 hours! :(

So sad! :(

That and "Orion Project" as a close second (Equal really) are the two parts of the internet that I really miss.

Nothing else has ever come close really. :/

PS,

One of the guys on "Orion Project" produced this video. We all contributed towards it regarding the actual technical specs for the proposed space ship.

It isn't just a cool video, the maths/propulsion works too! (The Boosters are hypothetical shuttle SRB's extended by 50% for a longer burn time for example)

And for a more in depth description of PO!

Though he has actually missed out the juicer aspects of the technology, probabally because they simply wouldn't be believed, even on the Interweb :p :D :cool: :cool:!!

I have always felt that the great tragedy of the space race was that the US won. Had the Soviets got to the Moon first, we would be all over the Solar System by now!

:(

Back
Top Bottom