What Is Wordpress?

Soldato
I'm currently messing about with HTML and CSS as I have an idea for a website but in reading around the web and on here I keep seeing Wordpress being mentioned.

I (almost) know how to write basic HTML and use CSS to format it and have used FTP to send files to my personal Virgin Media webspace so I sort of know how to put together a basic page.

I have two questions I suppose:

What exactly does wordpress do that I couldn't just learn to do myself?

Should I just get a free account now and start building my site on there or persevere with writing the HTML and sending it up via FTP?

I know these are laughably basic questions so please humour me. :)

Soldato
You could learn everything that Wordpress does, but it'd take a long time.

Wordpress is a CMS (content management system), you set up an mysql database, upload the wordpress files to the webhost and set it up (or use a install package if the hosting provides it).

It allows people with no experience of building sites to set one up with a few clicks, set the way you want it to look using many of the free or paid for templates and then you set up pages and content. it's like using word.

in it's simplest form :)

try it on 000webhost, free account :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info.

I set up a 000webhost account last night and got it ready for the wordpress installation.

I'll have a play about with and see how I get on.

Soldato
Here is an example wordpress site I did from scratch in about 1 hour http://puzzleguitars.com/

It's been fleshed out with placeholder text for now. It's got a fully functioning contact form, and it's setup so that if the client wants to update the picture gallery or have a blog area for themselves to regularly update, it's takes about 20 mins to set it up for them. Wordpress is so popular because it is the quickest and easiest CMS to use if a basic website is needed with a nice interface for customers to update certain parts of the website.

It also allows for quick changes and upgrading, so if the client suddenly wants a shop feature adding or a certain bit of quirky functionality, chances are there's a plugin already available for it, so a few clicks later it's done, rather than coding it yourself.

Soldato
Looks good that, off the shelf template or custom?

I've been using wp for years at various levels but trying to create you own theme just isn't sinking in with me. Must be old age :D

Soldato
OP
That does look good aslco.

I set up Wordpress on the 000webhost account and had a basic blog up and running in minutes but I think some further study of website building is required before getting more involved in it.

I'm going to set myself some small projects to do where I code the website myself and once I've got that down to a reasonable level I'll play about with Wordpress again.

I've registered meths.org and am working through the complete web developer course on Udemy so maybe I'll post some of my own sites up to get some tips from you lot once I just about know what I'm doing. :)

Back
Top Bottom