• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase

What is your upper limit for your next GPU purchase?

• 1. £250

Votes: 34 8.3%
  • 2. £500

Votes: 162 39.7%
  • 3. £750

Votes: 86 21.1%
  • 4. £1000

Votes: 59 14.5%
  • 5. £1250

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • 6. £1500

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 7. £1750

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 8. £2000

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 9. No no, no no no no, There's no limit!!

Votes: 12 2.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
I thought it might be interesting to do a poll as most of the threads have talk of price & value for money; maybe we could keep the conversation in one place that disregards Nvidia/AMD/Console choice and focus purely on budget?

Could a mod add a poll, please?

£250
£500
£750
£1,000
£1,250
£1,500
£1,750
£2,000
No limit

Soldato
OP
I paid around £750 for my GTX1080 I believe

That sounds a bit high, I paid that for my 1080ti.

I have a similar threshold, although I'm thinking if I paid £750 a couple of years ago then a little more would be an acceptable upper limit if the performance did merit it.

£1,000 is my personal threshold, although I'd be more inclined to shoot for between £500 - £750 if again performance was there.

Soldato
OP
I tend to buy previous gen second hand. I’m currently running a 1070 I paid £150 for about 16 months ago Planning to do the same again when Ampere is fully released and 20 series cards drop in price. I’d find it hard to justify paying more than about £250 for a graphics card.

I wish I could do this, but I need HDMI 2.1 this time round so previous gen is off the shopping list.

Soldato
OP
Extended EVGA warranty isn't transferable. I saw it on the EVGA site. Not sure if it's a new thing?

It's always been that way. I generally buy EVGA and always extend the warranty. I only sell on the MM here, so when my 1080ti gets sold someone will get it with 18 months warranty left, and at a fair price.

There's actually a couple of 980ti kicking about that I've sold on here and they still have warranty, I'd help out no issues if it was required. That's why MM is miles better than eBay etc.

Soldato
OP
The problem I find with your poll @Dirk Diggler is that it offers no context, that is fair enough its ur poll etc but there is nothing there to say your Budget is XXXX if the performance is YYYY and tbh that is what I struggle with. I don't mind spending <a lot of cash> if its so far ahead of current gen that even next gen will simply match it. What I really mind is spending a lot of money for it to be de-valued very quickly by a refresh and new products plus the ludicrous buy in price cos of marketing and the wish for Nvidia & AMD to get more GP/margin for nothing

The poll is just a guide, mate... that's why we can post details throughout the thread, too. If the poll catered for every permutation, it would be as big as October's credit card bill. ;)

Soldato
OP
I don't really concern myself with what's upcoming (something always is) when I need to upgrade.

I think when there's an announcement regarding a new generation due in literally a couple of days, then it's probably prudent to wait and see what it is.

It gets to the stage when you've skipped a generation or two that technology has moved on to the point where it's harder to avoid an upgrade, e.g. I'm generally happy with my 1080ti performance in terms of raw grunt, but could do with this new generation to get the most from my OLED (HDMI 2.1, Gsync, 4k@60+ etc..).

Back
Top Bottom