16GB RAM
2x 1TB HDDs
512MB 8800GT

|
v

2.8GHz CPU
4GB RAM
320 7200RPM HDD

Probably go back to the Pro when Snow Leopard and Grand central prove themselves to be worth the investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Did you sell your Mac Pro in the end?

Yup.

I actually lost about £200 on the cost of the system, and that was because I added the 16GB myself. I sold the system for more than I paid (granted, I used HE discount) so I was chuffed :D

Just bought this MBP on HE too. WinRAR.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Why get rid of the Mac Pro? What did I miss?

To sum up:

• Wedding approaching
  • New model imminent
  • Less of a need for a multicore behemoth at this time
  • Took the opportunity to sell while it was still "current"
  • See Snow Leopard as the time to get another 'Pro
  • New MBP seemed to fit my needs (aka tie me over until WWDC)
  • Sold for more than I bought it for - win

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What do/did you use it for?

@ wush.. I used it for photo editing as my bro is a photographer (Canon EOS 1D MkII), folding and audio recording / editing (Pro Tools, 24 channel control desk etc etc). Now that it's gone he's gone back to his iMac and I've put the studio on lockdown (literally) until things are back to normal.

He played minesweeper but in Parallels.

Where have you been Mr EVH?

In a nutshell; I've had my head up my bum with all the wedding planning and to be honest everytime I checked on the forums there seemed to be another thousand iPhone threads so I just thought I'd take a chill for a while. It's also given me time to get buying and installing my new home cinema project (click sig), so I've been a busy bunny. I'm trying to post more to get back in the swing of things but everytime the mrs' sees me "on that blue site" it's deemed a waste of the interwebs - time that could be spent comparing colour tones of the bridesmaid's dog's sister's napkin :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Tempted to sell my newly bought one in early January for a new model.
2x2.8ghz quads
1x500gb
10gb ram
8800GT

Worth £2000+ new but I got it for £1300 and its only 6 weeks old! Should be able to do what EVH has done and make something on it :)

Soldato
Would it really be worth your while?

The new chips will be nice but it's a lot of hassle to upgrade, especially with something that size.

Where did you sell yours, EVH? If it's not against the rules that is. ;)

Soldato
Not so much worth the hardware upgrade but if I keep this machine until after the new ones are announced Ill get less for it when I do want to upgrade. Selling it with 10GB ram for £1300-1500 shouldnt be too hard I hope!
Changing things over will just be a backup of 1 drive and keeping my 1TB media ones :) ill have to see if I can be bothered though!

Associate
Added a PowerMac Digital Audio G4 466 to my collection! Worth $1799 8 years ago. Now it is just 10% more powerful than my iPhone, a little less portable, and probably worth about 17p.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Not so much worth the hardware upgrade but if I keep this machine until after the new ones are announced Ill get less for it when I do want to upgrade. Selling it with 10GB ram for £1300-1500 shouldnt be too hard I hope!
Changing things over will just be a backup of 1 drive and keeping my 1TB media ones :) ill have to see if I can be bothered though!

I sold mine for £3300+ to give you a reference point ;)

Associate
My 12" Powerbook G4 1.33 is still going strong after...4 and a half years? Upgraded the RAM from 768MB to 1.25GB (the max) today, which should help out a bit. With Mail, iTunes and Safari (lots of tabs admittedly) open I was hitting the limit far too often, so this should give some useful headroom. Probably should consider a Macbook at some point, but this Powerbook still soldiers on remarkably well... And is 12", which is a great size.

Back
Top Bottom