What MacOS can go onto this

Soldato
Hi all,
so a user hands me a macbookpro and says, "there was some stuff on it that i didn't want, so i wiped the hard drive.......and now it won't boot up!" :eek::rolleyes:

Its a 2012 macbook pro i believe - Serial No; C02J71V6DTY3

I've not touched macs for years, so i need advise on what MacOs is likely to run on this machine and how do i go about getting it. CD i assume, or download?
Any help appreciated, thanks

Soldato
The latest will run fine, well... Depending on the rest of the spec. I'm no fan of later Mac OS' on a spinning disk.

Can be downloaded from the app store, which will be tough with no OS on it to begin with!
How did the user wipe the drive?

Soldato
Hi all,
so a user hands me a macbookpro and says, "there was some stuff on it that i didn't want, so i wiped the hard drive.......and now it won't boot up!" :eek::rolleyes:

Its a 2012 macbook pro i believe - Serial No; C02J71V6DTY3

I've not touched macs for years, so i need advise on what MacOs is likely to run on this machine and how do i go about getting it. CD i assume, or download?
Any help appreciated, thanks

Turn it off, press and hold Command + R and turn it on, should boot in to recovery where you'll be able to download and install the OS

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks guys. Went onto Apple chat and they helped with that.
However, its doesn't see the AMD R3 SSD that i've installed.
So i swapped back to the old HDD, mounted the SSD externally booted into the disk utility, saw the SSD, formatted it as MacOs Extended (Journaling) as directed by apple support.
It downloaded Lion and installed it onto the SSD. Once complete i shutdown, replaced the HDD with the SSD, booted up but it got the folder with a '?' inside it. GRRRR!!.
So i booted into internet recovery again, and again, it can't see the SSD, even though i'd A) formatted it for mac and B) installed the os onto it.

Anyone any ideas?

Man of Honour
Ok thanks guys. Went onto Apple chat and they helped with that.
However, its doesn't see the AMD R3 SSD that i've installed.
So i swapped back to the old HDD, mounted the SSD externally booted into the disk utility, saw the SSD, formatted it as MacOs Extended (Journaling) as directed by apple support.
It downloaded Lion and installed it onto the SSD. Once complete i shutdown, replaced the HDD with the SSD, booted up but it got the folder with a '?' inside it. GRRRR!!.
So i booted into internet recovery again, and again, it can't see the SSD, even though i'd A) formatted it for mac and B) installed the os onto it.

Anyone any ideas?
What partition table is on the SSD?

Soldato
OP
GPUId blah blah blah. Diskutility verifies both disk and partition as ok.
Nothing i do will allow me to boot from the SSD internally.
It boots from it when attached to external USB, it even updated the OS, but absolutely will NOT boot internally. The original HDD has got damaged sectors so i can't re-use it.

God its annoying. Apple deferred me to taking it to a store. I'll not be doing that.

ps. I read something about MBP's not liking 6GB sata drives installed into the optical bay, but i'm just using the main HDD bay. Simple replacment.......you'd have thought. :(

Soldato
OP
You're doing something wrong. Make a bootable USB OS drive and boot from it, run disk utility from the installer and format it there.
Well, I'm not really mate. Unless you regard me NOT changing the sata cable as doing something wrong.
Once I did change it the SSD booted up fine.
Shame it cost me £75 to find that out.
PC sata cable = £3
Mac sata cable = £75

Anyways, all fixed now, thank for everyone's input.

Back
Top Bottom