What mistake did I make here :S

Soldato
I recently RMA'd a PSU which I believed was faulty, after it had been installed and the system powered on it immediately blew up two hard drives. Hooking up a PSU tester to the cable the SATA plugs were on revealed no PG reading and the 12v light failed to illuminate (worked fine with the cable the Molex plugs were on). So I figured that was the issue, it simply had never been tested when it came off the assembly line and the 12v overvolted and blew the drives (at least one of the SATA plugs was burnt too).

Got an email today stating the following:

Dear [my name],

The product CA-02U-KK on RMA326747 has been returned to you, this will be sent on a new order with order number 5173215.

Here is the technicians Test Report:

"PG reading on Dr. Power coming in at 300. "

So now I'm super confused, how can it blow up £100+ of HDDs at my end and show PSU errors when tested but pass the RMA tests fine :S

Any idea as I'm a bit confused as to how I messed this up, I thought for sure I was right.

Soldato
OP
The mistake you made was buying a crap psu.
Obviously I wasn't expecting a Superflower, but for a product built in the EU by a sister company of OCUK I kinda figured it wouldn't blow up components like some cheap Chinese junk lol, being told they can't find anything wrong with it (after being sent pictures of the drives it destroyed, the damage to itself, and it failing a PSU test) is just insult to injury.

Soldato
OP
Well, returned PSU arrived back today, surprise surprise it's still broken (as to be expected as they couldn't find the problem), PSU tester still showing errors, still visible damage to the SATA port one of the HDDs it killed was connected to. Obviously the guy testing it either couldn't be bothered to test all of the cables or just didn't test it at all.

What exactly should I do from here? Videotape it blowing up drives and post it on their Facebook page? :S

Obviously I'm quite unhappy about this, I'm down the price of the PSU, the value of the HDDs and the price of the return postage. In retrospect I should have gone for the 600w EVGA one that was the same price but I figured a PSU made by an EU company tied to OCUK with a good rep would be better than this >.>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom