What NAS for a beginner?

Off the shelf pretty much anything will do, Sinology, QNAP or even Netgear are the more well known options, there are also less known cheaper options if you just want some form of backup, smb share, dlna etc.

Budget? Number of drives? Self build (reusing parts or new?) or pre built?
Pre built and probably 4 drives for future proof. Not sure about budget but I suppose I don't need to spend loads as a begginer?
Off the shelf pretty much anything will do, Sinology, QNAP or even Netgear are the more well known options, there are also less known cheaper options if you just want some form of backup, smb share, dlna etc.
Cheers yes it will be off the shelf I wasn't sure what's good and what's not. I thought I might self host bitwarden.

Literally one reply from op in, and now we're not talking about a NAS any more, but a home server hosting services. I would suggest you're better off looking at self build, it's cheaper, more customisable and can grow as much or as little as you need and can be pretty economical. We live in a world where 'old' hardware is both cheap, plentiful and reasonably efficient/capable in terms of performance. 8th gen kit is for nothing, a modern iGPU and plenty of low power/higher performance options. If you buy a Synology or similar, you are buying a dead end, you are stuck with whatever support cycle Synology/DSM or whoever dictates, also unless you are absolutely sure you won't outgrow a consumer 2/4/6/8 bay set-up, it's going to limit options down the road. The first rule of storage is whatever you think you'll need is never enough. Ever.

Literally one reply from op in, and now we're not talking about a NAS any more, but a home server hosting services. I would suggest you're better off looking at self build, it's cheaper, more customisable and can grow as much or as little as you need and can be pretty economical. We live in a world where 'old' hardware is both cheap, plentiful and reasonably efficient/capable in terms of performance. 8th gen kit is for nothing, a modern iGPU and plenty of low power/higher performance options. If you buy a Synology or similar, you are buying a dead end, you are stuck with whatever support cycle Synology/DSM or whoever dictates, also unless you are absolutely sure you won't outgrow a consumer 2/4/6/8 bay set-up, it's going to limit options down the road. The first rule of storage is whatever you think you'll need is never enough. Ever.
Well my first thought was to have my own cloud, then my next thought was what about bitwarden lol Self build I wouldn't know where to start.

Yep, Nextcloud is a common solution for that. If you want cheap/easy, ebay etc. is awash with inexpensive prebuilt systems that you can put a few drives in, software options range from free like TrueNAS to paid like UnRAID, the learning curve isn't much different to Synology for the basic's and the hardware will generally cost you a lot less upfront and can grow as your needs change - you may even have something suitable already to give it a go?

Yep, Nextcloud is a common solution for that. If you want cheap/easy, ebay etc. is awash with inexpensive prebuilt systems that you can put a few drives in, software options range from free like TrueNAS to paid like UnRAID, the learning curve isn't much different to Synology for the basic's and the hardware will generally cost you a lot less upfront and can grow as your needs change - you may even have something suitable already to give it a go?
I will definitely look into it cheers

Back
Top Bottom