What PSU do i get?

Associate
I have a £800 budget and am going to buy a cheapo case (no point spending loads just to look good) and get a nice good psu. I am going to buy somthing like... dual core amd chip, 2 gig ram, x800xt pe, 300 hd ect ect

So what PSU should i go for. I am prepared to spend about £60 on a PSU. Which do you all recommend and why?

Associate
Tagan are very good i have had the 480 w, which should do what you require , and i now have the 580 easy con one which is also good , this would be a good investment if you wanted to add more bits later , although the 580 is a bit bigger you can get dimensions off the tagan site , worth remembering though that psu's do vary in physical size

Soldato
If your looking for a modular PSU i would go for the Enermax Liberty 500W...(about £10 more then what you wanted to pay)

Enermax are well know for making very high quailty PSU's...

Am myself is going get the Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT in a few weeks time unless some new higher power ones comeout before i buy it.

Last edited:
Associate
chaparral said:
If your looking for a modular PSU i would go for the Enermax Liberty 500W...(about £10 more then what you wanted to pay)

Enermax are well know for making very high quailty PSU's...

Am myself is going get the Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT in a few weeks time unless some new higher power ones comeout before i buy it.

(The tagen 580watt psu's are know for given low voltage on the 12volt rails under load.)
lol . i had the enermax to start with and rma'd it as it cut off after every 2 mins , so its the luck of the draw sometimes , although i did prefer the cables on the enermax and it is physically slightly smaller and my 12v rail is fine at 12.04v and my system is quite loaded as sig

Associate
Yucca said:
Whats the difference between a modular and normal?

And dno i really need a 500w + PSU or will a good 400w+ do the job just fine?
modular is when you plug the cables in you need , keeps it tidy thats all and you should be ok with a 430 watt tagan got one at 55 quid on here but i would recommend you buy the highest wattage you can afford, coz componants demand more each time so its money well spent

Soldato
Yucca said:
I have a £800 budget and am going to buy a cheapo case (no point spending loads just to look good) and get a nice good psu. I am going to buy somthing like... dual core amd chip, 2 gig ram, x800xt pe, 300 hd ect ect

So what PSU should i go for. I am prepared to spend about £60 on a PSU. Which do you all recommend and why?

What's wrong with your 480watt tagan in your sig??

Associate
Yep if you already have the 480 watt tagan then that would do fine only bad thing is the amount of cable, i found it a bit untidy :eek:

Soldato
Yucca said:

i would seriously consider buying a decent case... okay don't spend hundreds of pounds on one... but don't buy some cheap thing.

a good case doesn't just look good... they're expensive because:
better cooling (most cases these days are designed with optimal cooling in mind, even without case fans a good case will still run cooler than an el-cheapo one)
better noise proofing (again, most branded cases especially Antec, have silence in mind)
made of better materials (often thicker)
inside of a good brand case is much nicer to work in, you have more space and you wont chop off a finger on some sharp metal
a lot of cases these days come with drive rails... meaning that you don't physically have to work inside a case to attach a hard drive or optical drive.
removable motherboard trays are found in a lot of good cases these days, meaning you can attach the motherboard to the tray again... without being inside the case.

anyway...

Enermax, Seasonic and Antec are my personal favourites.
Tagan have been a strong brand, but had problems with many faulty PSUs last year (ticking, random shutdowns, even a blow out here and there).
Seasonic are expensive but quiet and good quality.
Antec have always been a leader in the PSU market, good quality for money and very quiet PSUs
Enermax are the same as Antec, although there have been a fair few issues with their latest Liberty models and DFI LanParty motherboards... so thats something to look into if you get a DFI board.
and am i the only one that doesn't particularly like the Hiper PSU's...?
they look nice, and seem stable... but the build quality on the cables is terrible... i can't even use the PCIe connector on my one (i've gone through two Hiper Type-R's now) because it wont physically fit into a PCIe graphics cards power slot... i'm having to use a 2x molex to PCIe converter instead... :-/

Back
Top Bottom