What smart themostart are using?

Associate
I am hoping to get into smart themostats, to see if this can help me save some of the heating in my home. Its a family of 6, 3 storey building and we are in and out and wake up at very different times and can see a case for smart themostats like hive, toda etc. I would have prefered Google nest but having done a bit of research, I understand this does not come with the ability to control individual rooms. So just wanted to check what are you using and why please?.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your helpful contribution. I'm looking at the hive mini. I had a plumber come around today and he said he swears by the hive mini, which is the updated one. How much did you spend, those who installed these thermostats recently with the TRV‘s?.

Associate
OP
If you currently have 3 thermostats then it's likely you have 3 heating zones controlled by zone valves with electric actuators, meaning things get much more complicated. If you have a hot water tank you'll need a Hive Mini that does CH and HW with a dual receiver, then another 2 hive minis and two single channel receivers. I can't even see in the install guide how the Hive connects to the zone valves - make sure your plumber is aware of this before you buy etc.
Hi many thanks. Yes I definitely have 3 zones, so it's likely going to cost more. Hoping it doesn't go above £500 for the entire setup! With your setup with the TRV‘s how much did you pay in the end please?

Associate
OP
Hmm. What I don't understand is most are saying that as most of the systems cost over £700 if they install, they will not benefit from any savings. How is this possible though, looking at the increasing cost of heating. I'm the opposite, I feel that these systems help to stop wasting heating, especially those designed for controlling heating in individual rooms, or I'm missing something?

Associate
OP
I only have Nest thermostats here but it still saves energy as I have the presence sensing turned on so, even if the schedule says to turn the heating on at a certain time, the presence sensing overrides it and keeps it off if the house is empty.
My thoughts exactly. I know you could just manually switch on and off radiators, but the convinience of using an app to switch on and off certain rooms definitely helps.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,just a bit of an update. Managed to install professionally my hive system and it's been amazing. Just the thought of having control over my heating is very reassuring,and hopefully I can lower my heating bills. Now I have managed to install some trvs and have hit a snag with the towel rails. Mine have the valves upside down, so I would have to fit the radiator valves upside down. Now hive recommend these shouldn't be installed upside down,but I really want to control these as I have 5 bathroom and mine run off both the gas and hot water. Ideally I just want to control them so they're on in the morning. Has anyone installed them upside down in the towel rail?any issues?

Back
Top Bottom