What speed should I be able to get?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've moved addresses to a new house and we are currently on Sky Broadband. The wifi reception is pretty dire but not only that, if I do a speedtest it shows there's only a speed of 16Mb coming into the house.

Is there a website that you can put your postcode or address into which gives you an estimate of what speed you should be able to get theoretically? Just want to check. I noticed the router is connected to the phone point in the hall via an extension cable, the extension cable reel has the micro filter in it if that has any bearing on things?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Associate
Hi all,

I've moved addresses to a new house and we are currently on Sky Broadband. The wifi reception is pretty dire but not only that, if I do a speedtest it shows there's only a speed of 16Mb coming into the house.

Is there a website that you can put your postcode or address into which gives you an estimate of what speed you should be able to get theoretically? Just want to check. I noticed the router is connected to the phone point in the hall via an extension cable, the extension cable reel has the micro filter in it if that has any bearing on things?

Thanks for any suggestions.

With Sky Broadband, they guarantee you get the speed they promised, or they'll give you money back. Therefore, if you go back to your order paperwork/email, you should see what speed they estimated for you when you signed up. You could also try going onto the Broadband pages of the website (https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/) and see what the estimated speed is for your postcode. That should give you a rough starting point

Soldato
Given they will have told you verbally and by email what speeds to expect (it’s part of the mandatory call script) and they are almost guaranteed to be providing you the maximum the line will support (unless a fault exists), the first question is how fast did they tell you your connection would be? What does the router say it’s syncing at? If the latter is within the range of the former, then they have done what they said they would. If you are getting lower speed test results, that could be anything from the device you use, it’s location, the connection to the router and the method of connection or a poor Speedtest server choice (auto for example can suck).

Back
Top Bottom