What to pack loose rawl plug holes with?

Soldato
TV definitely going to fall off if you haven't used a hammer drill. A hammer drill pushes the debris forwards rather than pulls it out. The weight of a brick drilled with a hammer drill is the same as a brick without a hole.

Pmsl one of the funniest things I’ve read in my life, made my night.

Associate
In the past I've used shield anchors which expand as you tighten them and end up completely solid in the wall.
As other have said, packing it with a bit of Rawl plug, or toothpick/matchstick should be plenty.

Soldato
OP
I'm now paranoid that the plugs aren't far enough through the plaster into brick itself :o

Why does every single guide just tap the plugs flush to the wall exterior yet it seems quite critical that the plugs are hitting brickwork as opposed to plaster..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm now paranoid that the plugs aren't far enough through the plaster into brick itself :o

Why does every single guide just tap the plugs flush to the wall exterior yet it seems quite critical that the plugs are hitting brickwork as opposed to plaster..

The fitting needs to be flush otherwise the screw is sat on the plasterboard. If you want deeper fixings you can buy them.

Soldato
can you look at the likely plaster depth via a mains wall-box say if it is not discernible via the drill hole
(or evidently by the changing resistance whilst you originally drilled)

Soldato
OP
can you look at the likely plaster depth via a mains wall-box say if it is not discernible via the drill hole
(or evidently by the changing resistance whilst you originally drilled)
I'm pretty it was about 1/2 cm, it's only a skim. Obviously all four plugs are in now so I can't see them, but I believe they had a fair cm or so of 'flat' at the errr.. user end. iI other words the bit that expands as you screw is further down the plug. So that's good.

Girlfriend pointed out that the plumber who fitted our radiators only had his plugs flush (flat to the wall) as we saw them when the decorating was done. IE they weren't pushed really far through plaster into brick or anything. And those rads were damn heavy.

Enough speculation, I just need a break in meetings this afternoon to get the mount on the wall, then perhaps I'll just hang 20kg of weights on it overnight just to be sure, lol.. :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're overthinking it a little, they're not very strong when you pull at them but they can take a lot of weight hanging off them even on plasterboard.

That's only held on with 3 yellow plugs in very chalky old plasterboard and withstands the kitten test.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom