What TV do you game on ?

Soldato
I've always been a Plasma man. Always Panasonic too. My two main plasma's are both THX certified, and they replaced earlier generation Panasonic Plasma's. However last weekend, I sold my soul to the devil, and bought an LCD. (not for me, but for my kid) It was a 120hz motionflow, which the UK equiv is 100hz. (I'm in the USA)

Anyway, for those who don't know. LCD's have a far harder time at keeping their 1080p resolution during movement compared to Plasma's, so they invented some digital trickery to double the frame rate, which gives the movies, a very fluid albeit un-natural for a movie movement. I've always scoffed at the idea, and still do. Movies are meant to be watched at 24fps and nothing more..

However...... This thread is about gaming.. AND one thing I really like about these 120hz motionflow LCD's is what they do for the 30fps games.. They turn them all into 60fps titles, and this has a great effect on them. Games such as all drivers, which use to annoy me at 30fps, now run at 60fps and gives them that much more playabilty. It's breathed some new life into some of the older games I've had sitting around. I always use to ask the question for all racers, that I'm typically a big fan of, is it 30fps or 60fps, and if it was 30fps, I'd pretty much stay away.

It's not perfect, but its a darn sight better than being stuck at 30fps. Works great on everything else too, providing the game is locked at 30fps. Titles such as Uncharted, LBP, all 30fps games, now run super silky smooth. My Panny's and all other plasma's and all 50hz (UK talk) LCD's for that matter, only replicate the games intended frame rate.

Therefore, i think its far to say, if you are after a new telly, and are a gamer first and foremost, go for a 100hz lcd over anything else.

No no no the picture is still not as good as my panny's, any day of the week, but if silky smooth is your thing (as it is with me) then its the obvious choice.

Soldato
OP
My Panasonic plasma does the same thing. 120hz is what we have in the UK too by the way.

We're not in the dark ages here, games have run at 60hz for decades.

Plasma's do not have motionflow. There's no need. The plasma is like a light bulb, it's switches on immediately. Unlike LCD, which has to work at blocking light, thus the delay and the need for motionflow. You probably have quite an old plasma that is talking about subfield hz. Which is something different to what I'm talking about. Your plasma does not turn a 30fps game into a 60fps game.

Soldato
OP
Google "Panasonic Plasma IFC", it increases the motion resolution greatly.

I have a late 2010 46G20.

I'm not a retard, I fully understand how the different technologies work. I simplified my explanation as I assumed you didn't have a full grasp of how the technologies work, judging by your strange assumption that you can simply turn a 30fps game into a 60fps one by increasing motion resolution through frame insertions.

We have the same neoPDP panel. I actually have the G25, which is essentially the same with a couple of extra features.. Anyway, our plasma's are actually a 600hz subfield, which means it lights the phoshors 10 times per sec instead of the default 6 times (480hz) of other plasma's not sure where you are getting the 120hz from. Unless there's a diffference between the UK and US spec? Which could be. Not trying to start an argument. Anyway this works completely DIFFERENT to a 120hz LCD, and thus gives a completely different feel and visual experience, and 'our' plasma's are never going to increase the frame rate, like a 120hz does. The LCD's do actually insert extra frame rates giving a silky smooth impression, which does not work really well for anything outside of games, where in gaming we aim to achieve 60fps, movies we do not.

Soldato
OP
YOUR plasma if you have IFC turned on DOES insert frames like an LCD would. The 600Hz subfield drive was just to reduce the flickering of the display by constantly igniting the phosphor cells. This has nothing at all to do with the motion resolution of the display.

TRUST ME !!! Neither of my Panny's have IFC, G10 or G25, so perhaps they've ommited that digital trickery from the US market. I do see it being present in the UK markets, so perhaps. Not seen it in action on any Plasma's this side of the pond, or any motionflow on any plasma brands. So can't comment on what it looks like on a plasma. Works well for gaming on an LCD in the US at least. :D

Soldato
OP
I can't wait until tomorrow, my Panny 50" G20 will be delivered around about 1pm... My boss has one and he understands my urge to go home and play so is letting me off for the afternoon! At first he said only go home to sign for it, but then he was like "actually, just stay home, you owe me one!" WOOOOOT!

ags

Nothing quite as exciting as getting a new telly delivered.. At least for me ! :p

My boss was the same when i took delivery of my G10..

Soldato
OP
Panny 50 inch, I've got the TX-P50GT30 best investment I've made in a long time.

Nice!! Nice......

I was trying to wing one of these, but just couldn't get it past the missus. $1047 delivered, which included the Avatar 3d family pack.. BD disc and 2 set of bins.

Had to go with the cheapo LCD instead.. Which gave birth to this thread. :p

Back
Top Bottom