What type of Ethernet cable from switch to face plates?

Associate
Hi,

I have virgin M350 broadband with a hub 3.0 router, situated at the front of my bungalow in a bedroom.

I would like to run Ethernet cables to other rooms via a switch/hub in the loft. I would want the cables terminating in each room at network sockets, rather than having visible cables hanging out the walls. What sort of cat 5e or cat 6 cable do I need for this?

So I’ll have the Virgin hub 3.0 with 1x cat 5e/cat 6 cable going from this up to the loft where it plugs in to a switch, the switch will then have cat 5e/cat 6 cables going down to a few rooms to sockets which I can plug the PC in to, smart tv, Xbox etc. I’ll only need 1x socket in each room.

Any advice or links to cabling / face plates or switches etc much appreciated

Perfect thank you. One other thing, would this cable be suitable for external use? In future I may convert an old shed in to a outside cabin and would like ethernet run to that.

Just a quick one.

Can one cat 6 Ethernet cable feed a double Ethernet socket? I plan to have a Ethernet socket in the conservatory but would be good to have 2x points to plug in rather than 1x. Would I need to run 2x cables?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom