What tyres to buy?

Man of Honour
These are to go on an MTB and I've decided I will be buying Schwalbe Marathon Plus but which ones.

There are the knobbly 2.1" or normal 1.75"

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon-plus.html

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/marathon-plus-mtb.html

I'm getting on a bit and I want to be as safe as possible, I want to cycle on crap pothole roads, cycle lanes/paths full of glass, grass and anything else.
I've had 6 years on 1.75" and just had 4 months using a Schwalbe Ice Spiker on the front which has been superb in bad weather.

So what would you go for out of those two?

Soldato
Marathons are robust but also heavy. They are a kinda fit and forget tyre but don't feel great.

If you don't suffer from punctures and are happy to keep a close eye on pressure, I'd be tempted to go for something a bit lighter..

Man of Honour
OP
I've had quite a lot of punctures on my commute.
A lot of it is where football fans walk and they think it's great smashing bottles so my priority is puncture proof.
Just wondering whether normal tyres or the knobbly ones!

Associate
Marathons are robust but also heavy. They are a kinda fit and forget tyre but don't feel great.

If you don't suffer from punctures and are happy to keep a close eye on pressure, I'd be tempted to go for something a bit lighter..

Have them myself but it's funny there heavier but don't roll that bad for it in part guess would be to do with the softer rubber layer under tread

Man of Honour
OP
Associate
I've just ordered two of those from Halfords which are competitive on the price with the bigger stores, I can collect and I'll get 10% NHS discount.

26 x 1.75"

I also bought some puncture resistant inner tubes from the ALDI special buys for £1.99 so hopefully I won't have to worry about punctures again.

Hi if you get a puncture with marathon pluses the tube will cut in half! lol could have sorted you out a pair of normal pluses here have a pair which had been on bike for very short time mind have a pile of tyres and gear to shift! im running Big Apple 2.0 folders and Michelin sport something 2.? big fat things that look like M bike performance tyre.
I can't ride with anything knobbly having Fibro and Raynauds the tiny vibrations set off like white finger

Associate
I get very bad pins & needles but that's due to diabetes.

Hi yes similar thing im around type 2! just in/out of it! well was last time had a check

Because blood flow is reduced in all of these the vibrations can give you white finger type thing in your feet also.
Straight handle bars increase it because of hand postion with wrists at odd angle.
The Marathon pluses have been great

Back
Top Bottom