What USB wifi dongle?

Associate
So I have had to move into shared housing for now, good thing is that there is wifi but the usb wifi dongle I have (TP-LINK-TL WN727N 2013 Version) doesn't seem to giving me good speed sometimes its crawling, If I use my Android Tablet im getting around 50mbps. I don't want to spend a lot of money but something that will get my speed back up.

Soldato
The last adapters I purchased were generic eBay specials with external antennae, but I was more interested in Linux support than anything else. Something with an external connector would likely give greater flexibility as you can move the antennae for best reception, obviously 2.4Ghz gives better penetration than 5Ghz and if possible try and run a survey to make sure the router isn’t using an overlapping/crowded chan. At a push, a USB extension lead may be a quick fix?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, forgot to mention the House is owned by the council so I dont have access to the router, they have even blocked adult sites. I'm sure my dongle has had it as it gets really hot.

Man of Honour
TBH the best I've found really for overall reliability and simplicity is the TP-LINK TL-WN722N* - some of the other 7xx variants are pretty naff though. I'd recommend getting one of those WiFi boosters you plug into a mains socket and can connect to via Ethernet rather than USB though as personally my experience has been much better speeds and reliability than any USB dongle.

* It won't set any speed records but I've found speeds reasonable but it seems to hold a signal well, low latency as far as WiFi goes and the antenna is removable with an SMA socket so you can use an upgraded external antenna if desired to get better results.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Make a dish for it out of tin foil. I used to do that before to steal neighbours wifi. Also can use a metallic strainer.

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thum...-a-Low-Cost-WiFi-Antenna-Step-4-Version-2.jpg

O I like a bit of diy lol worth a try....

TBH the best I've found really for overall reliability and simplicity is the TP-LINK TL-WN722N* - some of the other 7xx variants are pretty naff though. I'd recommend getting one of those WiFi boosters you plug into a mains socket and can connect to via Ethernet rather than USB though as personally my experience has been much better speeds and reliability than any USB dongle.

* It won't set any speed records but I've found speeds reasonable but it seems to hold a signal well, low latency as far as WiFi goes and the antenna is removable with an SMA socket so you can use an upgraded external antenna if desired to get better results.

I will look into those boosters but do you have to connect to the router?

Man of Honour
I will look into those boosters but do you have to connect to the router?

You can usually use them both way around though you'd want to double check on a model by model basis - either as a WiFi bridge between PC and router or wired to the router to give better WiFi coverage.

Soldato
Thanks guys, forgot to mention the House is owned by the council so I dont have access to the router, they have even blocked adult sites. I'm sure my dongle has had it as it gets really hot.

In that case, something like a Nano Station is quite directional and can be mounted on the end of a standard RJ45 cable. As to the blocking, VPN’s work wonders.

Associate
OP
Cheers, will be looking into VPN, Don't know how long I can stick being here there two gamers who live here who is stealing all the bandwidth:mad: still better than being on the streets or living in some rough area.

Soldato
Cheers, will be looking into VPN, Don't know how long I can stick being here there two gamers who live here who is stealing all the bandwidth:mad: still better than being on the streets or living in some rough area.

Games generally use very little bandwidth, they're potentially latency sensitive though.

Associate
OP
Something new learned, Last night for a couple of hours the the ping was at 100 with very little download speed 1-2mbps and no upload at all, It could have been a blip in the connection, or someone watching 4k Netflix etc...

Soldato
No upload would suggest someone is saturating the uplink eg torrents or streaming to a remote client rather than Netflix etc.

Soldato
I swear by the NETGEAR A6210-100PES AC1200, bought one for my Desktop gaming machine on the 1st floor and has been rock solid the whole time. No issue with downloads, can't say much about uploads because i do so little of that

Man of Honour
Something new learned, Last night for a couple of hours the the ping was at 100 with very little download speed 1-2mbps and no upload at all, It could have been a blip in the connection, or someone watching 4k Netflix etc...

Was that 1-2mbpps total activity or the max speeds you were able to get? same for the upload no upload activity or you were unable to get any proper upload speed?

Possibly an ISP issue and/or contention on the ISP side but sounds to me like someone is torrenting with no restrictions - the connection cycling kills most consumer routers and even with firmware that can handle higher connections, etc. often the CPU struggles.

Associate
OP
I ordered the TP-LINK TL-WN722N, Went cheap for now just to see what happens, as I'm getting better speed on my Tablet.

I got zero upload speed and 1-2 mbps was the maximum I got. Yesterday was the only time it had happened so maybe it was a glitch in the router /isp.

I haven't been there long enough to get to know the people so Yes it could be torrents.

Man of Honour
Are you using the USB extension that comes with the dongle to try and get a better position? could be a driver issue on your PC maybe.

Back
Top Bottom