What USB wifi dongle?

Soldato
Thanks guys, forgot to mention the House is owned by the council so I dont have access to the router, they have even blocked adult sites. I'm sure my dongle has had it as it gets really hot.
Oh god, move house immediately or install a VPN. How do you live man!

Associate
OP
Are you using the USB extension that comes with the dongle to try and get a better position? could be a driver issue on your PC maybe.

Yes I first used the extension had it everywhere but still the same and no difference without it either, I shall load the driver that came with it and see if that makes a difference cheers.

Oh god, move house immediately or install a VPN. How do you live man!

Only been here a week but it's hard;) VPN will be the way once I can get the speed issue fixed.

Man of Honour
Grab a copy of inSSIDer and screenshot the screen when it is showing the strengths of detected networks so we can rule out signal quality - if that is OK then it is probably some software/driver problem.

Man of Honour
Yeah that is the screen - doesn't look like any signal problems -50dBm is about as good as it gets normally - so doesn't look like the problem is reception.

Is that an unsecured wireless printer? oof.

Associate
OP
Could be the printer isn't anything to do with me, It's a strange house as the council has a room/office in this house so it could be something to do with them. I will have to try the other usb ports, Must be something to do with the computer because if I put my Android Tablet on the floor or anywhere I still get 50mbps.

Associate
OP
Tried all USB ports and it's still the same, I do have a upload problem sometimes it's not even getting 1mbs most I get is 2mbps, I was getting near enough 10mbps last week, I'm wondering if the council have throttled back everyones upload.

EDIT: I'm now getting 47mbps on speedofme website.

EDIT: Spoke to soon

bZg3GcX.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What does this suggest when I first put my pc on I get good speeds but then after 5 minutes it slows down, if I unplug the usb dongle and put it back in then I get my speed back up again, but after 5 minutes it slows down again.

Associate
OP
I recommended the following https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...00-bluetooth-4.2-pci-e-adapter-nw-10a-as.html currently on sale also, built in bluetooth incase you decided to get a bluetooth keyboard / mouse.

One thing I like about the ASUS range is that the antenna's can be mounted away from the PC.

Cheers have it up and working and now getting a constant download speed of 55mbs when other people are in, Just got to figure out why the upload is slower than a snail sometimes not even getting 1mbps if i'm lucky i get 2mbps.

Associate
OP
I haven't asked the council they just said it was fast, When I moved in a month ago the upload was great getting about 10mbps but now it's slow, I'm not really bothered about the upload just handy having it a bit faster to upload pictures.

Back
Top Bottom