What VR headset to get

Associate
Looking to get a PC based VR headset after having the Quest 2 and finding it way too blurry with ghosting and halos and an awfully small sweet spot. Loved the gaming side of it and wondered what headsets anyone might suggest - don't want to really go over £600

Soldato
There's only one decent headset in your price range and thats the Hp Reverb G2. However the sweet spot isn't huge from what I've read - it's massively clear in the centre, but quite blurry at the edges. Also the controllers and tracking is nowhere near as good as the Quest 2.

I wouldn't bother with the Rift S as it's very low resolution compared to other headsets, and is EOL so warranty and parts could be an issue, plus it seems to be very finicky about display ports or USB ports.

The Index has the widest FOV and the biggest sweet spot and great edge-to-edge clarity, but it's £925, and has horrendous lens glare (Though you do get used to the glare).

Associate
OP
There's only one decent headset in your price range and thats the Hp Reverb G2. However the sweet spot isn't huge from what I've read - it's massively clear in the centre, but quite blurry at the edges. Also the controllers and tracking is nowhere near as good as the Quest 2.

I wouldn't bother with the Rift S as it's very low resolution compared to other headsets, and is EOL so warranty and parts could be an issue, plus it seems to be very finicky about display ports or USB ports.

The Index has the widest FOV and the biggest sweet spot and great edge-to-edge clarity, but it's £925, and has horrendous lens glare (Though you do get used to the glare).

thanks. Might check out the HP one. Shame the Quest 2 didn’t suit me or maybe my eyes are just not up to VR still currently. My IPD of 72 doesn’t help matters!

Associate
I sold my index when I got the q2 as it was so much clearer and no god rays, I've owned a wmr headset before so wouldn't consider the G2 unless you will only use it for Sims as the tracking is awful

Soldato
I heard the Rift S despite having lower resolution had a better sweet spot and better IPD settings. Would it be worth it for just PC use?

Rift S has fixed IPD, but the lenses are great and it has a very wide sweet spot if your IPD is in the right range. Rift S and Go lenses are the best ones Oculus made. Not sure why the Quest lenses seem to be worse.

Soldato
Seems to say it allows IPD adjustments up to 72 which is my level. Think I’ll try it and just return it if not and give up!

Rift S doesn't have IPD adjustments up to 72. Where you reading this information from? Ask here, and get correct information.

If you thought the Quest 2 was blurry, then you will be very disappointed with the Rift S.

Soldato
Yeah misread it. I meant the HTC Vive Cosmos.

The Cosmos is a lower resolution headset than the Quest 2 with a smaller sweet spot.

You might have been very unlucky and got two bad Quest 2 headsets in a row. There have been reports on reddit of this happening.

I asked in the other thread, but, have you tried VR before the Quest 2? Or was it your first headset?

And, forgot to ask, but, what are the specs of your PC? And when did you return the Quest 2 was it before November? or just lately?

Associate
OP
Resolution doesn’t worry me so much. Just been reading that other users of the cosmos with an IPD of 70+ find it better. I used the original rift which had better IPD options.

Got the quest 2 this last week. Went through two both manufactured 12/2020. One worse than the other but still very poor. Obviously seen all the posts on the oculus forums about poor lenses, but felt this wasn’t a lottery I wanted to keep going with when it doesn’t suit my IPD.

Soldato
Resolution doesn’t worry me so much. Just been reading that other users of the cosmos with an IPD of 70+ find it better. I used the original rift which had better IPD options.

Got the quest 2 this last week. Went through two both manufactured 12/2020. One worse than the other but still very poor. Obviously seen all the posts on the oculus forums about poor lenses, but felt this wasn’t a lottery I wanted to keep going with when it doesn’t suit my IPD.

And the specs of your PC?

Soldato
I9 9900
32GB ram
RTX 2080 Ti
2TB SSD

Nice PC. I presume you tried changing the render resolution, encode bitrate and had a good USB 3 cable? Or was it blurry for you even when using standalone?

Just wondering was the problem the stock strap on the Quest 2? That the stock strap just wasn't any good at holding the headset in the sweet spot.

Just going back to your last post, Did you think that your Rift Civ1 was less blurry than the Quest 2?

Associate
OP
Nice PC. I presume you tried changing the render resolution, encode bitrate and had a good USB 3 cable? Or was it blurry for you even when using standalone?

Just wondering was the problem the stock strap on the Quest 2? That the stock strap just wasn't any good at holding the headset in the sweet spot.

Just going back to your last post, Did you think that your Rift Civ1 was less blurry than the Quest 2?

Yeah tried all that. Can see the resolution improved but it was still out of focus abs blurry for me on both PC and with Quest 2 stuff standalone. No position of the headset really improved it. Has it set to widest IPD and used with and without glasses inlay. Text was hard to read. Godrays were very bad too off nearly all text. Also looked like ghosting a lot of the time.

Yes the rift felt better on my eyes. Obviously lower resolution but could focus better and much larger sweet spot.
Disappointed as could tell it’s mostly great and VR would be excellent.

Soldato
Yeah tried all that. Can see the resolution improved but it was still out of focus abs blurry for me on both PC and with Quest 2 stuff standalone. No position of the headset really improved it. Has it set to widest IPD and used with and without glasses inlay. Text was hard to read. Godrays were very bad too off nearly all text. Also looked like ghosting a lot of the time.

Yes the rift felt better on my eyes. Obviously lower resolution but could focus better and much larger sweet spot.
Disappointed as could tell it’s mostly great and VR would be excellent.

I think you were just unlucky and got two bad headsets. Did you take the plastic lens protectors before playing? :p haha sorry, but I do know a couple of people who didn't and thought their headsets were crap.

Cosmos is the only option in your IPD range, but, I am not sure IPD range is your problem really. I think the Reverb G2 would be the best headset for you to buy right now. Not sure they were in stock anywhere though. The Cosmos hasn't got great reviews. But, I guess you can always return it if you don't like it.

Associate
OP
Yeah hard to know what to to with. Not many places let you buy it. Try it. Hate it and return it! I like the idea of the HP G2 but heard the controllers and tracking were really poor?

Soldato
Yeah hard to know what to to with. Not many places let you buy it. Try it. Hate it and return it! I like the idea of the HP G2 but heard the controllers and tracking were really poor?

The controllers and tracking of the Cosmos are worse, unless you buy the Elite version that comes with the Lighthouses and then buy the Knuckle Controllers. Then you are spending way over your budget.

Back
Top Bottom