What was I supposed to do? Might have gone through a red light

Associate
Been driving for about a year now. Turning right at a yellow box junction. Car in front turns, I edge forward a bit just pass the white line as my my car begins to enter the box. By the time there's space to go, the light changes to red just as I begin to make my turn. No visible cameras but worried there might be the smaller boxes on the traffic light tops or someone saw me on a dashcam or I just screwed up.

Associate
OP
Those little "camera boxes" on the lights are presence detectors to tell the light you're waiting.

Unless there was a massive yellow box and lines on the road, you're fine.
No, but Im more concerned about whether I broke the law, and if someone with a dashcam (like me) saw it. And then reported it. (not me).

Associate
OP
Turning right, yellow box, room to be fully in front of the white line, green light = enter the box and wait. Personally if there are already multiple (2-3) cars waiting in the yellow box and not a full car length after the solid white line I always wait, especially if it would mean blocking the crossing.

There was only one car. As I began to move forward, the light changed to amber, so I was already in the box even only a little bit, so I then turned rifbt. There was no oncoming traffic.

Associate
OP
Possibly but just forget about it.

I appreciate you may be an anxious sort but, seriously, it's highly unlikely anything will come of it. Go find something to take your mind off it before you give yourself an aneurysm over what is, in the bigger picture, inconsequential.

Don't.

Worry.

About.

It.
I do have anxiety so I will worry I just want to know if I've broken the law and what I could have done in this situation in the future .

Associate
OP
You seem to be trying very hard to tell yourself this.

Chill out man, life's too short :)
Yes I know , my anxiety especially around driving has got insane lately.
You were in the junction when the light went red.

Had you crossed the line after it went red you'd have been a very naughty boy, but you didn't the rest is history.
Are we talking about the white line or the yellow box

Associate
OP
I think the police are a bit too busy doing other things to bother with you to be honest mate. ;)
I know but you never know they seem to be big on anything and everything related to motoring offences right now. Just wanted a second opinion, my dad a driver of 30 years (who has had probably about a dozen speeding tickets one recently) said I was fine but wanted a second opinion

Associate
OP
The only bad thing about that video is that you showed yourself sitting there for far too long and only a fraction of a second after the turn.
Still nothing illegal though?
Tbh in future I'd be less hesitant about going into the box . But getting a fine a couple of months after I passed my test for going into one (totally different circumstances though), I've tried to avoid them wherever possible.

Associate
OP
As far as I can see you've done nothing illegal - would have been better to take up a more dominant position in the box once you were clear to do so.

Personally would have waited back behind the white line until the van was further forward so as to not block the pedestrian crossing, etc. if the lights do change.
Cool, that seems to be the consensus here. Thanks, it just looked like to me that I'd gone through a red light but then I forgot I'd actually crossed the white line so I haven't actually done anything wrong.
In future I will take up a more dominant position.

Back
Top Bottom