What was/is the best Macbook model year?

Man of Honour
I was thinking about this recently. The most recent macbooks are great. But they are increasingly expensive and increasingly hard to repair or upgrade, and the keybaord is a love or hate thing. For example RAM, SSD and even the battery are now non-removable (or very, very hard to replace due to the battery being glued). But older macbooks allowed you to upgrade these (I upgraded the RAM on my 2009 MBP 13) and the battery could be replaced by someone following a youtube guide (MB Air's still have batteries that are screwed in and so are simple to replace). Yet the older macbooks don't have as good screens, slower processors or USBC.

I can live with not being ablre to upgrade the RAM. I can also live with not being able to upgrade the SSD. Both are negatives but I can live with them. But one of my biggest concerns about getting a newer, modern, macbook is that it will be a dead brick in a few years once the battery gets old and can't be replaced. Even if you plan to sell it in a year or two this iwll be in the mind of the next buyer so could affect resale value (?). I have similar concerns about the way some Windows laptops are going (e.g. the Surface Pro and Surface Book) so this isn't Apple specific.

So what do you think was the best era for macbooks? Personally I think around 2015 was good; a replaceable battery (with a bit of effort and technical knowledge), a decent keyboard, some models could have their SSD upgraded. Of these I would probably lean towards an MBP13 Retina as personally I don't need the power of the 15" and portability is important. The MBA is still interesting but has a poor screen in comparison.

Soldato
Just get the battery replaced by Apple then it won't be a dead brick? I'd be wanting to use a genuine Apple battery anyway, so I'd have to take it to Apple in any case.

Non issue to be honest, for me I had the 13" 2015 for 2 years now on the 13" 2017. The 15" is far too big for my liking but its personal preference in my opinion.

Man of Honour
OP
How much is a battery replacement by Apple? DIY replacements for earlier models can be done for the price of a battery (about £40)?

Soldato
To be honest, I'd say they just keep on getting better.

Macbooks are the most bulletproof laptops out there, they are just so much more reliable than other brands, and for me (if it hasn't developed a fault under warranty) by the time it breaks then it's time for a new model anyway

Soldato
With Apple I think you have to commit to paying for their support and repairs.

Only once you get into keeping older gear and used stuff to you need to worry about other things.

So there are two different types of user IMO. For the first group what ever is the latest one is the best. The 2nd group other things come into it, like affordability and cost to maintain will pick a different model.

Soldato
Having been through three third party batteries for a 2010 MacBook Pro in a matter of months and recently having purchased a 2017 model, it does make me think that just getting it replaced by Apple with the official version makes more sense.

Man of Honour
OP
With Apple I think you have to commit to paying for their support and repairs.

Only once you get into keeping older gear and used stuff to you need to worry about other things.

So there are two different types of user IMO. For the first group what ever is the latest one is the best. The 2nd group other things come into it, like affordability and cost to maintain will pick a different model.

Probably quite accurate.

Back
Top Bottom