What was your first PC spec?

Soldato
I'm not ashamed to admit my first PC was a shop bought one. This was back in September 99' I think.

Other than the old systems like CPC, Amiga, C64 etc.

PIII 450
128MB RAM
12GB HDD (I remember the guy in the shop telling me I'd never fill a 12GB HDD)
Voodoo 3 2000
15" CRT

Goldeneye on DVD came free! The computer had a DVD player inside it! :eek:

It also game with a copy of Delta Force! Oh my days, what a game. I still remember the first missing, running over the first hill and taking out the guard in the watch tower.

Soldato
OP
I saved my pocket money to buy a book on building your own PC from Maplin around '91-92, a short while later my dad took me to a computer fair looking for a 386, he'd almost settled on one when the guy at the stall told us there's a guy a few stalls down selling 486s for some crazy cheap price, IIRC it had 8mb ram and around 500mb hdd. It wasn't until around 10 years ago my dad told me he spent almost all his savings buying that PC, all because he thought I was wanting to build a PC from scratch, like buying PCBs and soldering components etc. He obviously never read the book, it basically told you to buy parts and put them together like really expensive lego, like anyone would expect you to mean by "build a PC" now, but not so much back then! He said he felt he had to buy me one so I wasn't disheartened by the whole thing. It was just after I'd built a megasquirt (a DIY engine management kit) that my dad told me "that's what I thought you meant when you wanted to build a PC". He kept me as up to date as he could, even had a 3dfx Voodoo 2 in '98/99, my friends at school didn't believe me at the time! I think I still have that somewhere.

To repay the massive debt that I owe my dad as far as PCs go, I've kept him as up to date as I can since I started earning enough to more than just pay bills.

Thanks for sharing that :)

Back
Top Bottom