What would I be best upgrading

Soldato
Hi Everyone.

I think it may be time for an upgrade but I'm not sure whether I would be best just popping in a better graphics card, or if the rest of my system is in need of a refresh. I have had it for almost 7 years, replaced the graphics card at one point but even that's a few years old now.

I'm not somebody who needs to be able to play everything at max settings (and only need 1080P), I like things to look nice but happy to dial down the settings as my hardware ages. Most games still run fine for me and look good, but currently having performance issues with no mans sky, and although I don't really want to upgrade for one game, I figured it could be about time.

I've listed current specs below. I did look at maybe replacing the whole thing last year but people seemed to suggest the processor was still decent enough and things hadn't really improved that much over the years. So I guess maybe just a new graphics card, but would the rest of the system be a bottleneck if I did? No real fixed budget at this stage, can't go crazy but just want to get an idea of what would be best.

Asus P8P67 LE motherboard
Intel 2500K
8GB RAM
AMD 290X
500GB SSD & 2TB HDD
650W PSU

Associate
Could likely get away with a new graphics card, and maybe another 8gb of ram, specially if you're just looking at gaming. As to which card, right now I would wait. Rumor has it that the first lot of new cards will be coming end of the month.

Edit - Might also be worth looking out for a 2nd hand 2600k :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks. If there are new cards on the horizon I'll definitely hold fire for a bit. As to which card that's gonna be a tricky one, I usually favour AMD and have a freesync screen, but I'm so fed up with reading "seems to struggle with AMD cards" and the like when having problems with a game.

I did wonder about an extra 8gb, only thing putting me off is wondering how long I'll hang onto this system even if I don't upgrade it all now.

Soldato
OP
How much would you like to spend as that changes everything?

Probably 1070 sort of prices for the graphics card, though was happy to splash out more to do the whole system if it was necessary. Think I'll hold fire for now and see what happens with the new cards.

Associate
Probably 1070 sort of prices for the graphics card, though was happy to splash out more to do the whole system if it was necessary. Think I'll hold fire for now and see what happens with the new cards.
looking very likely they will be announced if not released on or just after August 20th.

Soldato
looks like there is not much extra to come from the new cars apart from RT
No, and doesn't look like its going to lower the prices of current cards. The nonsense pricing has just put me off even thinking about it for now...

There's a good difference in power , but the extra price isn't in proportion .

Vega 56 on pre order for £400 is you want new

Back
Top Bottom