What would you buy next to further your Photography?

Associate
Hey Guys,

I currently have a Nikon D90 with the following:
- Nikon Kit lens (18-105mm)
- Nikon Prime 50mm 1.8
- Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Now I'm hoping to take my photography to the next level, principally I take pictures of the family, at home, i,e potraits or on days out. So out of the following list what would you guys recommend I buy next.

My list is as follows (no particular order):

- Walkabout Lens Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 G AF-S ED Lens, Dont really have or want to spend this money, but would something like this make a big difference to my pictures?? Im a noob, wouldnt mind say spending up to £600 on a new lens.
- Macro Lens
- Tripod
- Another Flash
- Intuoso 4 to help me with post editing
- Screen Calibrator, something like the Spider Pro

As always thanks for your help guys.

Meds

Associate
OP
Thanks Guys

A telephoto definately seems like a good idea, 2.8 telephoto lens tend to be very expensive right? Would any of you be able to recommend one that would fall into the Sub 600 range?

I think I will probably order things this way:

-Telephoto
-Umbrella
-Calibrator (although this could drop far down the list if I can do things with the card)
- Tripod
- Additional Lighting/Flash
- 24-70
- Tablet

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advise, The sigma lens that you guys mentioned was it this one:

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG Macro HSM II - Nikon Fit
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/70-200mm.htm

I would probably get that one over the second Nikon, as Im sometimes weary of buying stuff second hand just in case its faulty. :)

I have the Scott Kelby books and they have definately helped out loads.

So what would you guys consider to be a basic Studio Lighting setup, also I dont have much space at home, so would need something I could easily pack away when its not being used :)

Associate
OP
have you guys bought stuff from 1stop before?
I think I will probably get the Sigma and some sort of Calibration device, although I will wait to see how i do with the card that they send through.

Alex your right, I really do need time to dedicate to the hobby, that is probably the single thing Im missing most.

By the way do you guys think that using the sigma at 85mm will be good for potraits? at least better than my kit lens?

Studio setup is definately gonna come soon after that :) Actually might get that at the same time :)

Associate
OP
Thanks Raikiri, I will go ahead and order that now :) LOL here comes an EDIT

Just before I order with regards to the sigma lens, how does it compare to the Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 SP Di, they are both of a similar price, and reviews are quite similar too, and more out of curiosity the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM that one is 840.

Thanks again

Guys am I allowed to link a studio lighting kit from the jungle shop? or will that get me in trouble?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to keep you guys updated, You guys have completely corrupted my noobish mind!!!

Right now I'm seriously considering getting the 70-200mm Nikon VR2!!!

One question tho is if i was to invest in that beast would someone like myself notice the differences between that and the Sigma??

Also is this the 80-200 you guys are suggesting:

Nikon AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens, I can buy a new one of those from 1 stop for £662

Associate
OP
What you say does make sense Bigred in a sensible way. What I do know is that I really want to take my photography to the next level.

When I use my 50mm 1.8 Prime to take pictures and then compare that to photos I've taken on the Kit lens I can see a massive difference in quality. More because of my uncertainty with regards to what I would like to do I thought the 70-200mm would be a great choice as it gives me a nice range to play with, with a quality lens. I dont think the lens would be used much out doors but probably a lot with the kids indoors and in the garden etc.

Truth be told (this will add more weight to your arguement), I was thinking of buying the 70-200mm VR2 now, and then getting the 24-70mm for my birthday. That should give me a massive range to experient with. With a few to upgrade to a full frame Nikon Camera in a year or 2.

Associate
OP
Thanks BigRed, Really appreciate the time you've taken to give me that reponse. One final question. In your opinion would I a noob like myself notice much difference between the Nikon VR2 70-200mm and the Sigma HSM2 70-200mm?

Cause as you say, and your right, I will not use the lens much, therefore if I can save 1000, i'd rather to that and put that money to better use.

Also just to let you know I will probably buy a full frame camera next year :) And I will stick to Nikon. So all my Lens will stay with me for a long time to come :)

Associate
OP
Rojin and Bigred thanks for responses. The reAson I was holding off on the 24-70 was cause I was kinda thinking it's due a refresh any day now. I think when they release a vr version I will definately buy that.

I intend to pop over to Jessops early next week and get a feel for both the sigma and nikon 70-200 and will probably make a decision on them then. My wallet will allow for the nikon, but my mind tells me I'm getting over excited and spending too much money. I will update the thread once I've made a purchase and probably bug you guys with even more silly photo questions.

Thanks again all

Meds

Back
Top Bottom