What XP software is needed for gaming?

Associate
Hi all,

Just built a XP system, very raw at the moment, has service pack 3 installed, but that is about it.

I was wondering, what do I need do download on my main PC to get majority of games to run?

I was thinking things like, net.framework, a Direct X pack etc etc, what would I actually need for games to run ok?

Any help would be great as it's been built for my partner who's into all the Sims games, thus built to play Sims 2 and a few others...

Associate
OP
To get that propper XP feel, nothing better than having the real thing :D it'll never be connected to the net either... But I can't remember what packs, what Microsoft software I need for the games...

Soldato
Most game installers will come with the .net and directx software needed if you don’t have it. Sometimes you’ll need various packages but I’d just start loading games and see what works.

A good thing to check is the most compatible display drivers (not always the latest release).

I would also say that depending on what display you’re using, you may also want to check for widescreen patches for your games as well as other modifications and optimisations depending on what hardware you’re actually using.

Edit: I also think there is a retro games section on this forum where you may get or find more specific help. Yeah it also pains me to think XP stuff is starting to fall into that category...

Associate
OP
I have a Samsung 206BW screen with a DVI lead. A older ASUS board P5Q-PRO - 4GB Corsair ram. Intel core2 duo 2.8ghz cpu... Added all the sata drivers to the install.

Man of Honour
Think you are better on Win10 with XP theme.

https://www.deviantart.com/sagorpirbd/art/XP-Themes-Final-for-Win10-520345860 , problem with sticking to XP is all the latest Win10 games designed for 10 only, plus driver update support etc regardless of being offline.

I'm assuming (hoping) this is for older games as anything from about Doom 3 onwards tends to not run on XP - some like Doom 3 the executable can be modified to run others there isn't even the API support for the renderer, etc.

Associate
I would look at the Retro gaming subforum for advice.

I personally run a 2014 XP PC (its awesome) and purely for retro gaming. Whilst Windows 7 is excellent, there are some 98-XP era games which simply refuse to run. Also I like me retro software.

nGlide is one of the main emulators (wrapper), you can play 3DFX era games without the original card. :)

Back
Top Bottom