• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's a decent budget CPU to buy right now?

Pet Northerner
Don
Looking for advice on what CPU to get (for a friends kid) who plays looter shooters at 1080p where FPS beyond 120 isn't an issue.

He's looking for a modest cost for an entire build (750 -1k) so thinking GPU wise to hit the 6700XT or there abouts, but for the CPU I'm a little stumped.

Is the 5600X what I should be looking at, or is there something from Intel worth picking up at that end of the scale? My last 4-5 builds have all been much higher spec so I'm not too clued in here.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
I've been really happy with the combination of a 6750xt and a 7600x the last 3-4 months. There are some really good CPU/MOBO deals around if you are happy to internet search and then your friend is on the Am5 platform.... DDR5 etc. Should stand more than well for 1080p and any thought of a nice new monitor and 1440p should they want.

Soldato
The Ryzen 5700X is difficult to look past at current prices. Fast in any task, low power use, runs fine with modest coolers and on AM4.

Don
If you can stretch to 7600x/DDR5/AM5 then that makes the most sense in terms of longevity.

If not then as above 5700X can be had for £160 or so, which being 8 core, should still have decent longevity (with the possible option to drop in a 5800X3D at a later date)

Back
Top Bottom