what's best way to cool down Xbox Series X please?

mine was like this so i decided to open it up ( watched a youtube vid) very easy to be honest. i could not believe the amount of dust/fluff on the heatsinks inside. gave it all a good clean and the fan and now its runs so quiet and just by putting your hand in front of the fan you can feel its cooler

Should not be overheating at all, my one has never overheated once. They have a great cooling system.
You need to open it and clean the fan, heatsink and air intake holes.

One thing I used to do with the Series X (and the PS5/Switch) is buy those cheap dust covers. I find that helps keep the dust off the consoles when not in use.

That said I never had problems with my Series X - quieter and nicer than the PS5 in my experience. So as people have said probably other factors for those to be overheating.

thanks guys very much for the info.

yeah its upright and i never thought about trying to clean but my warranty as way gone as it was the halo edition so guess i have nothing to lose. i will go on youtube and see if i cant find this video you mention and look about doing a clean. when i put my hand over the xbox its roasting by the way and its on my desk with nothing over it or heaters.

Last edited:
Open it to check if it’s clogged up with dust, only way to get to the bottom of the issue. If it looks fine must be something else.
I used small fine brush on mine from what I remember to clear out any dust.

Mine was doing the same, firstly when under load but then it seemed to be with most games. Got a can of compressed air, gave it a good blast and a hoover and now its back to be pretty much silent for most games.

For a starting point you shouldn't even need to open it. Give it a good blast with a can of compressed air or ideally something like the compucleaner.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £48.98 (includes delivery: £3.99)​
I've got an older model and it's great, had it for years and it makes cleaning console's and PCs so quick and easy and never runs out like the cans :D

This is a problem with vertical cases like the Xbox, thanks to gravity you're gonna get a lot more dust inside your console. Clean it out once a year

Back
Top Bottom