Whats gonna be the future this year?

Associate
My question is what is on the horizon for computers this year?
I want to buy a new pc without screen and soundcard, speakers ( i have these) and spend about £1300, but i was wondering whether it was worth spending now or wait till the end of the year to buy if something big is around the corner. I know Windows Vista will come out so that might be worth waiting for, i like the look of the AMD X2's, is there anything to beat this soon? What about the top graphics cards? Basically, when should i buy? And what should i look out for?

Cheers for reading this rambling question ;)

Man of Honour
Soldato
Definitely wait for AMD's new socket and Intel's Conroe/Merom. They've hinted that the new AMD high-end socket will support a PCI-E controller integrated on the die. Wait until the summer at the earliest if you're looking to have the new hotness.

EDIT: BTW, welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:
Associate
The PCI-E controller rumour was for the server side of things not the new AM2 AMD socket.

However waiting until June/July would be a good idea as you will have a far better selection of new technology to choose from.

Soldato
AM 2 no includes ddr2 - 800 support so will show significant speed boost and first cpus released on it are going to be the a64 +5000 (dual core) and the FX62 (also dual core) but actual clocks will be similar to that of top end a64. Also going to see an increase in memory costs as the silly companies reduced production and this is driving up cost. Intel looking strong soon and will just have to wait and see by mid year should know whats the best out.

Back
Top Bottom