whats the cheapest way to heat a garage?

Associate
wasnt sure which type of heater to try look for to heat our large garage for winter as there are so many out there so please if anyones got any suggestions that would be awesome :)

Are you wanting to heat the space or people inside it?

An infra-red heater would be much cheaper, but only really useful for heating "people". If you're trying to keep the whole room warm then you'll need an electric heater / oil filled radiator.

Electric heaters / oil rads are 100% efficient, so you aren't going to get cheaper than that really.

Next obvious solution is insulation too, to stop the heat escaping.

how big of a garage and what are you trying to achieve, just enough to stop condensation and rust or to be warm like a house to sit and view the car collection?

Normal options are diesel, gas or electric heater depending on the size of the space, each have their pros and cons depending on the size, insulation and what you're trying to achieve.

A good old fashioned way is to make a waste oil burner, they're decidedly not very eco though

In terms of cost alone, the cheapest ways to heat a garage at the lowest to average cost are: Portable Electric Space Heaters - Inexpensive garage heat when you don't need it much.
120 volt electric space heaters.
240 volt electric heaters - wall or ceiling mounted.
Portable propane heater.

err thanks for some of those helpful comments :) Portable Electric Space Heaters seam the place to go i think, but it would be to heat the place to stay warm while work in there as its a double garage almost

Are you wanting to heat the space or people inside it?

An infra-red heater would be much cheaper, but only really useful for heating "people". If you're trying to keep the whole room warm then you'll need an electric heater / oil filled radiator.

Electric heaters / oil rads are 100% efficient, so you aren't going to get cheaper than that really.

Next obvious solution is insulation too, to stop the heat escaping.
yeh a lot of draft comes through the garage door mostly at the top

I'd look at sealing up your door as much as possible as any draft makes it feel loads colder straight away, these are good for the bottom of the door and something like this for the top perhaps?

Then if its only for when you're working in there those infrared space heater type jobs will probably be best, we used to use them when i worked in a big warehouse type place doing PC repair, they don't take too much energy and seem to heat you rather than the space plus stuff doesn't go on fire it it touches them which can be a bonus in a garage.

I'd look at sealing up your door as much as possible as any draft makes it feel loads colder straight away, these are good for the bottom of the door and something like this for the top perhaps?

Then if its only for when you're working in there those infrared space heater type jobs will probably be best, we used to use them when i worked in a big warehouse type place doing PC repair, they don't take too much energy and seem to heat you rather than the space plus stuff doesn't go on fire it it touches them which can be a bonus in a garage.

i bought the Garage Seal HEAVY DUTY RUBBER Draught Excluder which once fitted is great and also keeps the small amounts of rain that was coming in so thanks very much for the advice :) looking into the heater and the top excluder as well. sounds crazy but never owned a garage before so that was the reason i was asking for advice etc and setting on fire was not an option lol.

Insulation is key IMO, My old garage I had partitioned off a section for a workshop, but with a single skin concrete block wall, uninsulated floor and single glazed windows, I had a 1kw heater on permanently, or at least on 80% of the time.

When I built a shed/workshop due to the garage being knocked down, I insulated that fully and used a double glazed old patio door and that feels warm, and the same heater is on <10% to maintain temperature, which is mainly me opening the door..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom