What's the difference between long and short zips?

Soldato
Looking at getting a trouser + jacket combo but don't want an all in one. Always has textiles but we've got some Brands Hatch day coming up which insists on leathers, either one piece or joined.

While looking I keep seeing references to long and short zips but nowhere actually explains it (least not so I can understand). In fact, you might even just help me find some trousers to go with this jacket :)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/78363

Soldato
Errr.

So, sorry I don't mean to sound like a **** but one is short and one is long lol :)

The short one is say, (6 inches?) Long and just goes across the small of your back, you may find more jackets/bottoms use these.

Also another hand tip is that if the bottoms don't come with the zip, you can buy like this thing you put a belt through, then that has a zip on it, so don't worry if the bike bottoms you like doesn't have a zip.

It's good because if you come off its supposed to stop your jacket riding up your body in a feet first slide.

I don't have personal experience of the long zip type although I've seen others using them, they basically zip right round your body, pretty much turning your jacket and bottoms into a one piece.

Again I am guessing at this part but I'm thinking for track use they may want you to have the long zip, it's far more secure and sturdy, no doubt safer.

Personally for street and more casual riding I think I would find the long zip a pain in the backside.

Either are obviously much better than having nothing and it's something I know a lot of riders overlook.

I hope that helps.

Edit: maybe more like 10-12 inches thinking about it. I mean, whatever right? :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks @BUDFORCE, I think I get it now, short zip is at the back of the jacket and long zip is all the way round forming a one piece. Which means the textile jacket I have now has a short zip (doesn’t matter as it has to be leather), that’s just for my understanding :)

I’ll have to check the specific requirements for the event before I make the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom