Whats the funniest PC setups you've seen?

Soldato
I just put XP on a PC with this spec and it's not as slow as I expected. lol

Intel Cel 433mhz
256mb (100) SDram
Voodoo 3 3000
20Gb harddrive

What kind of funny PC setups have you seen E.G. Semprom 64 2600 with a Geforce 7900 anything daft like that?

Soldato
OP
I'm using a AMD 64 3200 I just haven't updated my sig as it's just a temp cpu until I can aford something better.

What's funny about the setup with XP is isn't XP suppose to need 512mb and 1Ghz cpu. Or something like that.

Suspended
I got XP working on a P200 MMX with 82MB RAM, loading up took a while, but once it was in ok. Faster DMA controller + hard drives helped later on to the point of "totally usable"

256MB as a minimum IMO, 512MB helps. But you can run XP on machines with far less memory...it'll just swap more and take longer, but I guess if place the OS on a fast access drive (say non volatile fast flash memory) be pretty nippy.

Man of Honour
WatchTower said:
What's funny about the setup with XP is isn't XP suppose to need 512mb and 1Ghz cpu. Or something like that.

Nope, you'd be way off on that one. The system requirements are for a 300mhz or equivalent CPU and 128mb Ram as recommended or 233mhz and 64mb Ram minimum as taken from the Microsoft website however you can get it running on even less than that as squiffy and others have shown :)

What is actually usable comfortably might be a little different however so that might be what you were thinking of.

Soldato
OP
It was just what I was reading about XP would need before XP came out it could have been like you said the spec you need to realy see and exp XP as it was intended. :D I'd never would have thought of puttin XP on a sys thats 300mhz or slower.

Wouldn't all the sys spec be being used just to run XP. What would happen if you tried everyday things after like watching your fave DivX wouldn't it all run very sluggish?

Suspended
Divx files probably would slow down (CPU processing) probably have problems with Mpeg-II (DVD) and require a hardware MPEG board or PCI videocard with MPEG-II acelleration, but file/music server/downloader be fine..in fact better since you can build a passive low noise, low heat, low power consumption machine.

Back
Top Bottom