What's the point in having a sim password.....

Man of Honour
...when you can obtain a PUK code by simply visiting the O2 website?

I've never bothered with passwords before, but my mate just popped round as his phone (that I sold him) was requesting a PUK code. I assumed he would have to phone the network and confirm details prior to getting a PUK code.......but no, all you have to do is visit the O2 website, enter your mobile number and it will provide you with a code. After entering this code you can set a new password.

Maybe I'm missing something, but surely this defies the whole point of setting up a SIM password to begin with?? Enlighten Me!

Soldato
Well persuming one of your mates isnt going to nick it, to find out your number you need to turn it on, to turn it on you need your pin and so on.. maybe?

But then again if you store your number in the phone book they put in another sim and get it..

Bit silly really

Man of Honour
OP
ste_bla said:
Well persuming one of your mates isnt going to nick it, to find out your number you need to turn it on, to turn it on you need your pin and so on.. maybe?

But then again if you store your number in the phone book they put in another sim and get it..

Bit silly really

Yeah, that's the only saving grace I could think of.....but assuming the person with the phone can determine the phone number in some way, and I don't think that's a huge assumption to make (in many cases), it almost renders the password useless, unless I am missing something..... :confused:

bitboy said:
Yeah, that's the only saving grace I could think of.....but assuming the person with the phone can determine the phone number in some way, and I don't think that's a huge assumption to make (in many cases), it almost renders the password useless, unless I am missing something..... :confused:

to stop them turniong the phone on and making millions of calls i guess to ther countries i guess, also any phone numbers stored on the pin, texts?

Also just another way to deter theifs as there is a pin lock, though i doub tit does much, if it wasn't there thiefs may nick phones more then they do

Man of Honour
OP
addy_010 said:
Also just another way to deter theifs as there is a pin lock, though i doub tit does much, if it wasn't there thiefs may nick phones more then they do

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, and I guess it would deter a lot of potential thieves. I've just always assumed a SIM password would be slightly more secure than it appears to be now.

From what I understand

-Friends who know your phone number
-People who find out you store your phone number on your phones memory

Can easily bypass a SIM lock, at least on O2.

Soldato
The only way someone would potentially be able to gain access to your phone number would be to put another sim card in the phone and have a rummage through the contents. However, I'm sure most people here (at least I would hope so) are sensible enough to also set a security code for their phone so that when another sim card is inserted, you have to enter the security code. Therefore, even if a thief steals your phone and tries another sim card in it as a means to get your number, they can't since they would also require the security code to turn the phone on.

Back
Top Bottom