Whats wrong.....My computer dead?

Soldato
Hi there,

For some reason randomly my computer has decided to fail on me....

I just switched it on today to find that it doesn't work.

Everytime it trys to load windows it takes ages and then resets?

I have overclocked to 2.4GHz at 1.525 Volts.....but I have set it to stock again and it still doesn'twork.

I have the following hardware:

Opteron 165
DFI Ultra-D
X800XT
Samsung Spinpoit P Sata
Windows XP Home
580W Hiper

I have tried in safe mode with no luck?

Whats going on?

I dont get any warning beeps from my Ultra-D.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
what should i do from there?.......I have never used he recovery consol.....

When loading in safe mode it takes particuarly long loading the driver: "SPTD.sys"

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

sptd.sys is part of daemon tools - the reason it's taking so long to load is that it's trying to load an emulated cd rom drive - something i imagine safe mode really (really) doesn't want to do - for a start bus masterng is off and lots of other drivers are disabled - I'm quite surprised it manages to load at all.

If you want to check if it's responsible for the reboots disable it in start up manager and see what happens.

If you've recently added any programmes / changed your configuration it might be worth reverting back to a previous safe configuration using the system restore utility - if not and it's crashing in safe mode you either need to reload windows or you have an hardware problem (hard to tell what from the info you 've given though - I think it's a software problem to be honest.

DinAlt

Soldato
DinAlt said:
Hi,

sptd.sys is part of daemon tools - the reason it's taking so long to load is that it's trying to load an emulated cd rom drive - something i imagine safe mode really (really) doesn't want to do - for a start bus masterng is off and lots of other drivers are disabled - I'm quite surprised it manages to load at all.

Twaddle ;)
First-off, this is nothing totally to do with Daemon-Tools- Its an anti debugger app used by DT as well as several AV programs, and other stuff.
The reason its taking ages to load is because AFAIK the last driver to be loaded before the PC is booted into safe mode.
Daemon-Tools also runs perfectly in safe mode.

Any BSODs or similar?
I would also run a full surface/ SMART test on your PC & see what this brings up.
Otherwise, did you install anything new last time the PC was on- Sounds like either a disk or Windows problem.

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

When I run the windows setup it doesnt recognise C - the file structure or anything like that.

Now I dont want to format C because it has valuable data on it. I tried installing on a differnt partition but i still have to reinstall c

What can i do?

Thanks...

Associate
If you can get hold of a Knoppix cd ( a version of Linux that runs entirely from the cd), you can boot the pc and verify that it's the windows install that's the problem, and also gain access to any files you have on the C: drive. You could then copy them over to another hard drive or usb stick. Although it sounds like your hard drive is corrupted.

I find these Knoppix disks are really useful for general fault-finding/data recovery etc.

Soldato
Conrad11 said:
Hi there,

When I run the windows setup it doesnt recognise C - the file structure or anything like that.

Now I dont want to format C because it has valuable data on it. I tried installing on a differnt partition but i still have to reinstall c

What can i do?

Thanks...

Sounds like your drive is junk mate :(
As per above run a SMART

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

This knoppix this is excellent, I woulkd use it full time if it wasnt for incompatability will other programs......I can access all my files fine too....or at least the ones that are important to me, so I will try and back them up onto dvd.

Thats for recommending me knoppix, its a keeper.....its great, just incase things break again and i need to do some work urgantly.

Thanks...

Turns out that i cant access the files......they are corrupt i guess

Back
Top Bottom