What's your work IT equipment like?

Associate
As title, how good or bad is your work computer and other IT kit? I'm currently working with a Toshiba laptop with an i5-2450M and 4GB RAM. It also has a 750GB HD (spinning rust). It's slow af and the fan spins up all the time.

Considering buying my own!

What's your work computer like? Pics welcome.

Associate
OP
It's frustrating when you're used to fast stuff at home. I understand employers can't always justify the cost of fast stuff for everyone though. Probably will buy my own kit in a bit.

Also only got a 19" 720 (or less!) monitor at work but I'm used to my 24" 4K Dell at home :(

I think the full disk encryption on my work lappy also kills the speed!

Associate
OP
Currently got an XPS 13 9360 with I7-7500U 16Gb RAM and 512Gb NVMe SSD and dual 24" monitors.
Helps to work in IT :)
Rest of the office users have i5 or I7 desktops with 8Gb RAM and mainly 500Gb mechanical drives.
A few Xeon based workstations for CAD.
External sales have new XPS15.

Typically replaced at around 5 years old.

What's the 7500U like?

It's a good point about employee satisfaction, I've left jobs before partly due to rubbish computers. I don't have heavy power demands but often work in large spreadsheets.

As others mentioned SSDs would make a huge difference.

Associate
OP
Here is the beast from my OP:

2pso9kx.jpg

Not the rubbish metal / carbon type effect they went for. It's plastic of course :p

Associate
OP
Get £1500 every year and if you want to keep the previous model then you can't ever moan about lack of performance, compatibility etc...

Just means you get decent kit, even though I have to invest my own money for a slightly better lappy :)

Isn't that more like CYOD rather than BYOD? Do you get the cash if you don't upgrade each year? :p

Back
Top Bottom