Wheel Aligment Question

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I went for a Laser Geo alignment yesterday which was carried out on a Hunter, the settings were fairly consistent among the wheels apart from Front Left Wheel, the camber is Positive compared to the right side.

The left front wheel has some curb rash around the edge from last owner, as its the only one with curbing my guess is they hit a curb and potentially damaged something in the suspension. My guess at the moment is either Lower Control Arm or Upper Control Arm is bent ?

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
That's a bit of an extreme view isn't it. That toe is within factory spec!

Front left lower arm needs replacing.
I'm just trying to use logic, looking at the wheel it doesn't have a chunk of the Rim missing, however the curb rash is pretty nasty... I'm not surprised though, lady owner...

So my logical thinking was right? I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, just thought that since it was side impact in the lower part it would be the Lower Control Arm.

image.png

Should I change both, or just the LCA?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I'll order the lower control arm, swap it over and go for a adjustment on that one wheel alone. Thanks all!

Now what brand to go for, BMW want 149£ that's a no no. :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Is it generally a good idea to replace suspension stuff in pairs so would it be best to do the lower arms on both sides?

Upgrade to M4 arms, you know you want to :p

That did cross my mind, do you know if the rear underbody brace is actually worth it? I'm comparing this to TOMs bracing I had on the chaser and this looks comically thin and fragile in comparison. lol

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89536&p=1161125#p1160972

When I had my M135i I noticed, especially at speed, that the back end felt VERY floaty and almost disconnected from the car. It gave me a bit of a fright going over the crest at Schwedenkreuz which really unsettled the back end of the car. I didn't realise that these braces were not fitted to the 5 door versions at the time, but reading around people at least believe they make a difference.
I've the PowerFlex Polybush Inserts, they made a massive difference hence why I don't think the brace will have that much of an effect.

Edit:

I ordered... M4 LCA & TS and H&R Springs. Had the car just over a month and soon will be 2-3k into mods :cry:

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Why Wavetrac over Quaife? The Birds Quaife option is "only" ~£1700 if you don't do the bearings upgrade.

"They do have some differences, Quaife differentials tend to cost less than the equivalent Wavetrac, however this isn’t indicative of quality. Both are manufactured to an exceptional standard using high grade steel and rigorous quality control. Quaife do not quote a torque bias ratio for all of their differentials, the ratio varies on application as some require a more aggressive bias. Wavetrac also do not quote a torque bias ratio. They differ by having a function that increases load across the differential when needed. When a wheel starts spinning this ‘wave’ device engages, slows the wheel, and then disengages when it reaches a speed close to the other wheel so normal torque biasing can occur. This gives Wavetrac the ability to provide drive when one wheel has lifted, or on higher powered vehicles where wheel spin still occurs in spite of the torque biasing."

Source: https://www.rrtransmissions.com/lsdstore/lsd-comparison

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
@IC3 have you fitted the LCAs yet?

Do you've the Tension Struts as well? What's the mileage on the car? Is it lowered or standard suspension (Adaptive?).

I think it might be the stock TS, the bushings could be shot and M4 LCA's stiffer bushings will just make that more apparent.

BTW I sold mine this weekend, I managed to test drive M140i with everything I was planning on doing and it still didn't behave how I wanted. The increased prices since I bought it only helped me with the decision. I test drove an M2 manual, but ideally I would need a week with it to see if it would tickle my pickle. :p I do have a new project car, but I'll revel it once its done (won't be anytime soon tho)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom