Wheel arch repair

Soldato
It's totally repairable back to perfection - but it's going to require a new rear quarter. Crumpling over body creases is very difficult to get right and it looks as though the whole panel has been misshapen with lots of "waviness" to it.

I had similar (arguably worse) damage to my rear quarter and it was repaired at a bodyshop without a new panel (or filler, apparently) and I honestly couldn't tell it had been repaired. It was an insurance job though, so I couldn't tell you the cost, but the car was barely a year old at the time.

Before:

20131227_120604_zpsa53d8af2.jpg

20131227_120643_zps95eded1d.jpg

After:

20140108_081728_zps0b78a88c.jpg

20140108_081734_zps6e35ad57.jpg

20140108_081141_zpscdfa6c8d.jpg

Hard to tell in the pictures, but I never noticed any sort of waviness in the panel - believe me, I spent a lot of time scrutinising it as the accident happened just a couple of months after buying the car :(

Caporegime
OP
Well my cousin reckons circa £400 to fix.

Now if I enquired about my insurance doing this how likely are they to hike my premium next year if I ended up not doing it through insurance?

My excess is £100 and my NCB would still be 9 years next year as long as I didn't have three claims in a year.

Soldato
Standard internet drama. Body shops have been effectively carrying repairs like this out for decades.

Hardly an internet drama! Body shops have been carrying out bodge jobs using tonnes of filler and a "that'll do" attitude for that time also. What's your point?

Whilst I'm sure some bodyshops can do this work very well, the fact is many bodyshops will slap a bunch of filler on it, give it a quick coat of paint and polish and return it to the customer.

Well my cousin reckons circa £400 to fix.

Now if I enquired about my insurance doing this how likely are they to hike my premium next year if I ended up not doing it through insurance?

My excess is £100 and my NCB would still be 9 years next year as long as I didn't have three claims in a year.

TBH if you're paying £400+ to have it fixed you may as well just do it through the insurance?

£100 excess + 3 or 5 years of inflated premiums will be comparable with the £400 you'd be paying out. The benefit of doing it through the insurance is that you may get a courtesy car, you can send it back however many times you want until it is right (which you will almost certainly have to do), it will come with a 5 year warranty and you'll be able to spread out that £400 over a few years instead of in one go

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom