Wheel Fitting and Tracking

Associate
Evening,

On Saturday morning I had some new tyres put on my Fiesta ST, normal stuff and same as previously. I asked them to check my tracking after fitting the tyres, which they did and told me it was 3mm out. I asked them to correct it etc, and they charged me £24 (this seems high, what is normal?).

Driving back on the motorway tonight doing anything 65 and over and the steering wheel is vibrating like crazy, to the extend it is sometimes hard to hold on to as its shacking so much. The car has NEVER in any of its tyre changes etc had this happen. What have they done incorrectly for it to do this?

I want to know exactly what it is as I'm going to ring them for a refund tomorrow and take it somewhere else for them to fix it. Not a happy bunny!

Thanks.

Associate
OP
I would say that by the end of the journey it didnt seem as bad, but its was insanely bad to start off with. Its also fine till about 60mph and better above 80mph I guess.

What does balancing do as opposed to tracking? Have they done something incorrectly?

Associate
Tracking is the angle the front wheels point forwards . . .
/ \ towing out.
| | straight.
\ / towing in.

Excessive Towing out or in can cause an increase on the tyre inside/outside edges. But it needs some to make the car handle properly with the movement of the suspension.

Balance is to make sure the wheel and tyre have no heavy spots on them. The valve is a potential heavy spot. If the wheel is held on a freely rotating axle the heavy spot will fall to the bottom. When balancing weights are placed on the wheel to make sure it is all matched up. If not done correctly(or at all) then you will get vibration through the wheel.

Check the wheel nuts have been tightened up also as that can be over looked by the trainee fitter.

Hope that makes sense.:(

Back
Top Bottom