When are you going fully electric?

In my experience there are chargers everywhere, they just aren’t necessarily where you expect them like in the corner of a car park of a random retail park or where you want them like at a hotel.

In my experience, when I’m away from home and on the public network, I charge when I have the opportunity to do so, not necessarily when I am low and that saves having to make specific charge stops. In an ICE car you wouldn’t bother, you’d just fill up when you get low.

Last edited:
Did a 150 mile round journey in the i3s last week. Pulled on to the drive with 10 miles to spare. Mostly sat at 60-65 where possible with a few spurts of 70 to overtake.

Job jobbed.

Erm i'm not sure really around the long range aspect., longest journey i do is a bit over 300 miles once or twice a year. Mostly my driving is maybe 5-10 miles a day. If charging network was great then it wouldn't be a concern. I do have a charger on the house i'm moving into this week.

I have a RWD mode 3, a 300 mile trip once or twice a year will not be a problem, especially with a Tesla as there network is very reliable!

@413x

Interesting to read your opinion on getting in to Cardiff. Every time I go to Cardiff, which is quite often, I marvel at how easy things are.

Admittedly, I don't go at rush hour and I'm from a different direction. I take the A4232 off the M4(or A48) then the central link. Pass the prison and usually park at Pellett Street Car Park or John Lewis if space. 5 minute walk into the heart, 10 to the stadium etc.

It's a matter of perspective I suppose. I lived in London for a long time and now work near Southampton (which is pretty bad from my direction). I find pretty much everywhere in the SE of England very difficult at peak times.

Did a 150 mile round journey in the i3s last week. Pulled on to the drive with 10 miles to spare. Mostly sat at 60-65 where possible with a few spurts of 70 to overtake.

Job jobbed.
I take it that is the big battery one ? we have the middle (28kwh usable) i3 battery car, not an S so should have a little more range ... it does have the rex mind you so that will lower battery range but in this weather we would be lucky to get 125 miles out of ours on pure battery.

Great news!! My Ohme Home Pro charger got delivered to the installers this morning and I got a phone call mid morning asking if I would like it installed this Wednesday to which I replied yes please so they will be here first thing Wednesday morning. I will then be able to get on the Octopus Intelligent Go tariff but I have a question on that. I was emailing Octopus Customer Services last week about that tariff and they told me that the charging is controlled by the app on my phone. Is this correct? If so how does it override the car which currently controls the charging? Also does the cheap rate overnight apply to just the car or anything else in the house because since I have been on Octopus Go I have been doing the washing overnight as well?

Great news!! My Ohme Home Pro charger got delivered to the installers this morning and I got a phone call mid morning asking if I would like it installed this Wednesday to which I replied yes please so they will be here first thing Wednesday morning. I will then be able to get on the Octopus Intelligent Go tariff but I have a question on that. I was emailing Octopus Customer Services last week about that tariff and they told me that the charging is controlled by the app on my phone. Is this correct? If so how does it override the car which currently controls the charging? Also does the cheap rate overnight apply to just the car or anything else in the house because since I have been on Octopus Go I have been doing the washing overnight as well?
You turn off all charge control in the car. The Octopus app let's you control the max charge percentage.

The Intelligent Go rates are for all electricity use, not just car charging. The fixed 7p/kW rate is for 6 hours. The app will control when the car charges in that window (and sometimes will extend beyond the 6 hours).

Also does the cheap rate overnight apply to just the car or anything else in the house because since I have been on Octopus Go I have been doing the washing overnight as well?

Yep you get it all cheap, and you can make it even cheaper with Ohme as you can start and stop your charging in the app meaning if you have a slot that starts at say 21:00 and pause it at 21:03 you get the full 30 minus cheap for the house, as the smart meter only measure 30 minute intervals.

Yeh can also charge slower with some cars to equally trick it
you can do this... and i know a couple who do and have gotten away with it so far, however anyone doing it should be aware that it is against the Ts & Cs and octopus can tell.

According to the myenergie guys who worked on zappi integration, octopus have asked for usage statistics of different people with a view to seeing if people are taking the p...

I am not judging anyone at all**, but if anyone does this they should go in eyes open!.

**and indeed i too am breaking the terms a little bit as i always give a ready time for 5:30am as otherwise it kills my house battery. i hope i get away with it as i manage the charging in the evening rather than the morning........... but if i do get kicked i will only have myself to blame.

Last edited:
Indeed. Journey advocates it and also seems to dislike poor people. Ironic
i missed that post.. you are right that if anything will be even more obvious.
i get it is human nature to want to get the best value you can out of a product... however IF octopus decide to close all these issues i just hope they dont change the whole policy, affecting those who dont take the p... too much.

Yep you get it all cheap, and you can make it even cheaper with Ohme as you can start and stop your charging in the app meaning if you have a slot that starts at say 21:00 and pause it at 21:03 you get the full 30 minus cheap for the house, as the smart meter only measure 30 minute intervals.
that definitely sounds like you are begging to get kicked off the tariff imo. if you do that regularly are you not worried that octopus will see this a mile off?

Ok, I am confused now. Does this mean that if I set the car to charge on the cheap rate between 00.30 and 06.30 I can use the washing machine and tumble dryer on the cheap rate also but if the car is not charging I don't get the cheap rate? If that's the case I may as well stay on Go which is only 1.5p more expensive across five hours of cheap rate for the whole house. It's not as if I can make use of Electroverse either as it doesn't support any of the charging networks up here.

intelligent octopus is cheap electricity every day for what ever you want between 11:30pm and 5:30am regardless of if the car is charging.

As Jim Bowen would say in bullseye that is safe....... (you can set up schedules for tumble drier/diswasher/house battery charging or what ever you want. you always get those 6 hours.)

however on top of that you can plug your car in outside of those times and you may get bonus charging slots..... so long as your car charges even for a short amount of time in any half hour period in a bonus slot, your entire house electricity is cheap then as well.

To qualify for intelligent octopus you either need a compatible car, or a compatible charge point..... basically one that octopus can control remotely when plugged in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom