When are you going fully electric?

Man of Honour
Nope, 2001 530i. It was still fairly new at about 6 years old but I was pleased to see it still had all of its 231bhp :D

In theory there is no reason why power should fall with age unless parts of the engine are faulty.

Soldato
I wonder how few cars have no major mechanical parts changed in 150k miles.

Well the major mechanical parts are inside the engine and gear box and very few will get opened in 150k miles.

There might be a clutch replacement in that time depending on the car. If it uses a timing chain that wont need doing (unless its a VAG car lols).

Soldato
Yeah i think the myth that cars lose performance over time was put to bed some time ago, as long as it's not actually broken and on its last legs it should be the same performance wise give or take as new.

All the 15-20 year old cars you see being thrashed around at track days don't appear to have lost much go, the last Impreza i had was dyno'd at 288hp when it was 18 years old which is 13 more than 275 it was meant to have from the factory in 1996 and that had just had standard routine maintenance, nothing special..

Soldato
Yeah cars don’t generally lose power with age and mileage as long as they are looked after. In my early years of driving, my first car was a 1.6 Astra with a quoted 75bhp, with 130k on it it made 79bhp so certainly nothing bad going on there.

Soldato
Cars which are pushing the limits of the current draw from the battery will inevitably lose power for the same reason the charing speeds and capacity will go down over time. The batteries internal resistance increases, it will be able to take and deliver less. That said were talking fractions of a second off the 0-60 and not seconds off the 0-60.

I think this will effect different cars in different ways. Something like a Tycan and a Tesla which is pushing the limits of what the cells are capable of will see some degradation over time. Others like the Kona may not as it doesn’t really push the cells very hard at all by comparison.

But different cars use different chemistries and implement the drive train in different ways so it’s hard to tell at this point. Even within a Tesla, a 2020 and 2021 EU model 3s use completely different chemistries. I guess time will tell.

Soldato
All batteries will lose charge capacity over time. Entropy is a bitch.

With liquid fueled things you don't lose range or power because all of the energy is in the liquid, which is constantly being replaced.

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder how few cars have no major mechanical parts changed in 150k miles.

My dad would run E39 530D's for business mileage doing 50-60k miles a year.
The first one got to 186k miles before its first breakage when the original turbo seals failed. Still on its original clutch and running the 15k miles service intervals while changing the crankcase breather every inspection service.

Shortly thereafter we found oil in the coolant so fearing the worst I took the cylinder head off. No issues at all. Turned out the oil cooler had become porous. The bores still had the original honing marks with no glazing or any sign of wear at all even when measuring for ovality etc.
I'll see if I can find the pictures.

Gave the valves a clean up re-grind and new stem seals while I was in there and built it back up.
Got to 286k miles before he sold it for a higher spec 530D with low miles. Still running its original clutch and flywheel which was a shock even for me.

The guy who bought it clocked it back 200k miles going by its mot history and its still on the road today

Soldato
To be honest it's still pretty cheap, it's going to cause me to go through my credit a bit quicker but it's still cheaper than petrol!
Of course. For now. It just shows that those who don't have access to a charger at home, are at the mercy of lots of private companies deciding to increase the charge at any point. Sure, competition should help control that to some degree, but the balance of savings will certainly diminish over time in terms of Electric costs vs Petrol costs.

Associate
The version of the Cupra Born which you actually want will be north of £35k, I think the ID.3 options out to £40k+ so I can't see the 'hot' version being any less.

I have no doubt it will be expensive for a warm/hot hatch. I also have my doubts that we are going to see the days of (relatively) cheap cars again.

To use a phrase I absolutely hate. I wouldn’t be surprised if current EV prices are the ‘new norm’. In as much as EVs represent a fundamental shift in the car market and with it comes a new, more expensive price to enter as a consumer.

Soldato
I have no doubt it will be expensive for a warm/hot hatch. I also have my doubts that we are going to see the days of (relatively) cheap cars again.

To use a phrase I absolutely hate. I wouldn’t be surprised if current EV prices are the ‘new norm’. In as much as EVs represent a fundamental shift in the car market and with it comes a new, more expensive price to enter as a consumer.
Stuff is always more expensive when the tech is relatively new, though. Who knows where it will end up, but I think EVs will have to get cheaper as we come out of the early adopter phase into an early majority market.

Back
Top Bottom