When did we start to accept broken singleplayer games on release?

Associate
This is a bit of a strange one and with the release of Cyberpunk 2077 as the latest game in a long list with a multitude of problems on release I thought the question might be interesting. I'm unsure whether to post this in the console or PC section as the experience can be quite different for some titles.

Historically speaking many singleplayer only(based on my experience anyway) games never really required much attention after the initial release.

Multiplayer/CO-OP games were a bit different in that they generally required continuous attention throughout the games life and many more modes/variables/content were added to the base game.

Today everyone(almost) has access to the internet and the ability to push updates to games is much easier.

However, I think somewhere along the line we (the consumer/gamers) allowed the publishers/developers to get lazy and release unfinished broken games.

I have some really old disc games on PC that probably only had 1 or 2 small updates for example through its life and probably were not essential. Original Mafia on pc was a great game and I can't remember needing a major update to play it (could be wrong).

From the console side of things I played every single PS2 game I owned (GTA 3,Vice city,san andreas MGS2 + 3 etc) without an internet connection so I had no access to updates. Now I expect these games did has some issues but not to the extreme we get now.

So the question really is when did we start to accept broken/incomplete singleplayer games or what was your first really unplayable title on release(and the platform)?

And the next question is how do we fix(patch) it?

Reviewers were not allowed access to the console version of cyberpunk before release and were not allowed to show in game footage on PC. Their review scores glossed over any issue as irrelevant.

The days of actually reading gaming magazines and getting demo disks are long gone. The replacement should be far superior but it is actually more controlled and influenced by the developers.

Note: this thread isn't to hate on cyberpunk

Associate
OP
Gameboy Lemmings (PAL version) was bugged such that Mayhem 4 was impossible to complete (see image below - lemmings fall through the platform). I read more than one magazine review, giving the game a good score, and not one of them mentioned this bug. 11 year old cheesyboy spent hours trying to figure that mother ****** out. Magazines were terrible - in league with the publishers just as much as now.

yJwfU.png
lol you went back to far :D.

Associate
OP
Obviously bugs can happen and I agree open world games are more complex but they get pushed out too soon for various reasons.

Early access reviewers should be directing us to hold off on purchase/playing the game for such issues instead of offering glowing reviews.

It seems we have to wait for the general public reaction on social media to the game and filter out the raging lunatics in order to find out what state a game is in on release.

The publishers don't suffer from pushing out unfinished games. And if the game does poorly it might never be fixed. It's kind of a broken cycle

Associate
OP
That said it seems that console, and PS4 in particular is a different story. CDPR clearly hyped some of the games features too much, and PM'd the project badly. Better project management would have given them more realistic release dates from day 1, and could have meant ignoring last-gen consoles all together, which would have made for a far better experience for all players.

Given the scope of the project yes a more suitable time would have been this time next year. 1 year into the life of the next gen consoles but there was so much false hype and hysteria behind the game it had to be released now.

Associate
OP
Is the OP 12 ?

I can't think of one game that has not required a patch to fix something since release from the past 10 years.

The industry is not some niche rebellion army from 1985 where killing llama's for 20mins was enough to satisfy you. It's a cash cow for developers using the hype formula Hollywood has been using for decades.
No I am not 12.....

Did games in the past have bugs? of course they did. But now it seems post release fixes are part of the development cycle rather than some minor things that were missed before release.

The requirement of maybe needing a patch or 2 post release has turned into months/years of post release fixes for a lot of games.

If you don't think it's worth discussing then don't come in here and direct a personal comment at me.

This wasn't a rant thread I was just interested in people's experience of the shift in expectations on release of a game over the 20+ years. And some notable differences between games released on console and pc before they relied on connectivity.

The band aid fix is simply don't play games until X months after release. This mentality allows you to get around the problem but doesn't really solve it.

Associate
OP
Didn't play Skyrim on release? It's a complex RPG not an on rails shooter where the developers can reliably predict the users play patterns. I'm onto act 2 and nothing really major has cropped up apart from weird stuff happening with npc path finding.

Millions of people have entered a big sandbox its inevitable some of them might overturn grains sand that the developers haven't.
The original post wasnt specifically about cyberpunk.
Maybe I played too many games before I had internet.

Associate
OP
I don't buy games on release and although I really want cyberpunk I'm more than willing to wait until it's fixed because I know that most if not all games these days are released with bugs that ruin the experience

It seems crazy to me that people are so impatient that they can't wait and have the better experience rather than a tainted one

See comments above. I don't disagree with you but again that just allows you to avoid the problems.

If everybody waited before purchasing then it's also possible a game would flop on release and support would be pulled and it never gets fixed.

In cyberpunks case they probably opted against closed play testing for fear of footage being leaked.

Back
Top Bottom